Septoplasty 1 Week Ago, Resulted in a Bump?

I have had septoplasty done 1 week ago , due to having nose broken and couldn't breathe out of nose , my nose appears to have a large bump on top of nose after surgery , could this be from swelling or could bump on nose be permanent ? What is the time frame normally for swelling to go down ? Can septoplasty change the outside appearance of nose because my nose does look different then before due to large bump on top of nose , could u please get back to me .thanks for your time

Septoplasty and bump on the nose

+1

Dear Wella82e,

• The bump is probably due to swelling, was anything done to the outside of the nose?
  • I would suggest waiting it out, there is nothing to do this early in the post-operative period
  • Please bring it up with your surgeon if you still have concerns

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Septoplasty alone should not alter the appearance of the nose

+1

A septoplasty, when performed alone, should not cause any change in the appearance of your nose.  If there has been a change in appearance, your surgeon may or may not have performed additional things.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Septoplasty 1 week ago, resulted in a bump

+1

A septoplasty will not likely result in a bump on the nose. Swelling can persist for several months. I would recommend waiting a bit and seeing how you heal before jumping to any conclusions about your final result. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Post Septoplasty Bump on Nose

+1

It would be highly unlikely if only your septum was treated to have a bump appear on the nose that was not their prior to the procedure. Allow some time for the swelling to go down and then evaluate this in another week with your surgeon. When performing septoplasty after trauma to the nose you can expect some time for the swelling to dissipate. I would suggest frequent follow up appointments to keep your mind at ease and be reassured of your recovery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Swelling after Septoplasty

+1

Swelling at one week after any operation is normal and expected.  Try not to get too critical of how things look today.  A lot of the initial swelling will be gone in one more week - but not all.  If only the septum was treated, things should look pretty good by then.  If it was the septum and the nose it could take longer.

It would be very rare to cause a bump to appear by treating the septum alone.

Douglas L. Vander Woude, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon