Will Septoplasty Correct Uneven Nostrils?

I have a deviated septum which is pushing into my right nostril and makes it look uneven. My nose is normal, but the right nostril makes it look really crooked. Will a Septoplasty without Rhinoplasty put my nostril back to its place and make my nose look normal again

Septoplasty for uneven nostrils.

+1

Yes it can. If its the only cause. Remember caudal deflection of the septum are technically difficult so the success rate is less than you or the surgeon wants.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty will fix nostril asymmetry caused by a deviated septum

+1

If a deviated septum is the only thing making your nostrils look uneven, then a well performed septoplasty will often produce better symmetry of your nostrils. In most cases, rhinoplasty is not necessary to make this correction.

If the end of the septum is visible in your right nostril, it sounds like you would benefit from a corrective nasal septoplasty.

However, be aware that the nostrils may be asymmetrical for other reasons as well and that your ultimate results, while making an improvement, may not complete 100% symmetry.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Traditional septoplasty won't, but septo-rhinoplasty can

+1

Traditional septoplasty corrects the internal parts of the septum that are blocking the nasal air passages. The bottom edge of the septum, which lies between the nostrils, is generally not altered in traditional septoplasty. So the nostril shape or crooked base of the nose would not change.

However, this area of the septum can be repositioned or replaced during septo-rhinoplasty. The bottom of the septum (caudal margin) determines the shape and position of the columella, the skin between the nostrils. So with septo-rhinoplasty your nostril shape may be restored to a symmetrical orientation.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty may correct uneven nostrils

+1

If the septum is deviated in its bottom portion (the portion right next to the nasal tip), it can certainly shift and distort the nostril. Otherwise, septoplasty will NOT affect nostril shape.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Septo-rhinoplasty

+1

It sound that the problem is in the septum protruding to the nostril making your nostris look uneven.

This is a septum problem mainly the distal septum. This can be corrected by septoplasty with repositioning the distal septum in the midline at the maxillary spine.

Septoplasty for uneven nostrils

+1

Hi,

It sounds like your "caudal septum" is deviated. Caudal septoplasty can be challenging but if that is the only reason your nostrils look uneven, and the caudal septoplasty is performed well, and you heal well, then that should take care of the uneven nostrils or significantly improve them.

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting a deviated septum can correct uneven nostrils

+1

There are many causes of uneven nostrils including differences in the amount of nasal skin of the nostrils, differences in shape and size of the right and left paired nasal tip cartilages, and the shape of the caudal or lower part of the septum between the tip cartilages. If your problem is exclusively the septum, fixing this issue will make your nostrils more symmetric.

Andrew Jacono, MD

Septoplasty for uneven nostrils

+1

A septum that is deviated in its most caudal portion can certainly affect the appearance of the boatrula by shifting the collumella. To corecy this, a septoplasty that addresses this area as well as the more internal portions of the septum would be required.

However, it is important to realize that not all of the problem is caused by the septum in some cases. For example, there may be asymmetry in parts of the lower lateral (tip) cartilages that are partially responsible for the extenal appearance of the nostrils.

To find out what would be necessary from a surgical standpoint, I recommend you get a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in functional and cosmetic nasal surgery.

Dr Torkian

Behrooz Torkian, MD

Septoplasty for uneven nostrils

+1

Hi,

It is difficult to say not seeing your nose. A standard Septoplasty will not correct your nostrils. You would need an extended Septoplasty bordering on rhinoplasty to correct any nostrils defects.

The anterior caudal septum must be addressed. Again difficult to evaluate without a picture.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS