Would a Septoplasty Make the Tip of my Nose Look Straight and Make my Nostrils Look More Symmetrical?

I believe I have a deviated septum, as my nostrils appear to be different sizes and I find it difficult to breathe through the right one. I have been given different nasal sprays by my doctor, but they don't seem to help. My question is would a septoplasty help me to breathe better as well as make the tip of my nose look straight and my nostrils more symmetrical looking?

Septoplasty to fix asymmetric nostrils

+1

A septal reconstruction may be needed to fix your asymmetric nostrils and deviated septum. This usually involves more than your typical septoplasty, though. The goal is to reposition the caudal septum (portion right by the nostrils) into the midline.

You can learn more about this type of septal surgery at my web reference link below.

Asymmetric Nostrils and Nasal Obstruction

+1

With asymmetric nostrils and nasal obstruction it is very important that you receive a proper diagnosis.  Multiple factors can contribute to nostril asymmetry including a deviated septum but the lower lateral cartilages also contribute to nostril shape.  Also with nasal obstruction multiple causes will need to be examined in order to properly diagnose and treat.  Treatment can thus range from a septoplasty to a septorhinoplasty.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty

+1

Dear Molly,

Nasal congestion especially located unilaterally or on one side may be from a deviated septum. When your septum is deviated and the nasal passageway is not clear then nasal sprays will not alleviate the problem. A septoplasty is performed for functional purposes and to allow for proper breathing function. Often times a septoplasty will help with some asymmetry. A consultation and direct examination by a specialist will provide you with a proper diagnosis and further answers to your questions. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD