Septoplasty or Rhinoplasty by an ENT Doctor?

I had my last septoplasty in an ENT clinic but I'm getting a septoplasty/rhinoplasty now because of the injury I had that changed the external appearance of the nose. My question is, should I have septoplasty/rhinoplasty done in an ENT clinic? I don't get to choose the surgeon. They have a facial plastic surgeon who performs surgery in their clinic twice a year. So, I don't know if I could have a rhinoplasty done by him.

Rhinoplasty surgeon

+3
Although there are many qualified ENT surgeons who perform rhinoplasty well, you must be able to chose your surgeon. The individual who you are referring to may be an excellent surgeon and has fantastic surgical outcomes. If that is the case, check out their web site for photos, if they have one, and also photos of similar patients they have performed the surgery on. You can also ask for patient references. These are not always readily available, but, if they have performed enough rhinoplasties, they will have books of photos and plenty of happy clientele willing to share their stories.
Good luck.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Well, you opened up a can of worms now, Murad

+2

Murad,

Septorhinoplasty surgery is one of the areas that ENT and plastic surgery overlap. Both specialists are trained to perform both of the procedures and you may get a great result from either. Remember that there are risks to the surgery no matter who performs it and you should have a discussion with your surgeon/surgeons about the different risk set that secondary (second time) nasal surgery brings to the table. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Should I go to an ENT clinc for revision nose surgery?

+2

If you are not able to choose your surgeon (as you say) and are going to a clinic, then it is likely that the procedure will be performed by a surgeon-in-training (resident/ fellow). I have done several such cases in my time during training as a plastic surgeon, and I think that these low cost alternatives are definitely worthwhile. However, I do not think that a revision rhinoplasty should be done is such settings. There are many well-qualified ENT surgeons and plastic surgeons that are certainly capable of performing this procedure. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Rhinoplasty/septoplasty and ENT surgeons

+2

Hi Murad, both plastic surgeons and ENT surgeons are trained in rhinoplasty surgery. I would recommend trying to research the background and experience of your surgeon prior to surgery. If he or she is experienced, you should do well. Keep in mind that you are have a secondary procedure, so this makes your surgery a little more challenging and therefore you really do need someone who is comfortable with this procedure. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Best Surgeon for Rhinoplasty

+2

The best doctor for rhinoplasty is a surgeon who knows the nose inside and out. Rhinoplasty can have a both internal and external components. It can have both functional and cosmetic parts.

The best choice is a facial plastic surgeon. This type of doctor has been trained fully in ENT, so she or he knows how to make the nose breathe well. Facial plastic surgeons have had additional or fellowship training to focus on the aesthetic and reconstructive aspects of the face and neck. They can address all parts of the nose to achieve the best result possible.

Rhinoplasty is one of the most technically challenging procedures, and should be performed by a surgeon who has experience with rhinoplasty.

Jennifer Levine, MD

Rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

The answer is: choose a surgeon experienced in Rhinoplasty. Both Facial Plastic Surgeons and Plastic Surgeons gain expertise in training in this procedure, but quality will vary from surgeon to surgeon. One point to note: given that you have had a previous Septoplasty, alternate sources of cartilage for grafting (if indicated) may be required from your ear or other sources. I would suggest Dr. Stephen Perkins or Dr. Mark Hamilton in the Indianapolis area, but I am sure there are many others who have excellent qualifications.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do a little research about your rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

There are quite a number of superb Facial Plastic Surgeons in the Indianapolis area. It is not uncommon for surgeons who have busy practices to volunteer their time in clinics, often to show their techniques to doctors in training. You might try to get a little more information about the surgeon. Perhaps seeing if the surgeon's website has before and after photos could be a helpful way to start. The surgeon may also be in the clinic a couple of times a year (in addition to performing surgery), and perhaps you could schedule an appointment to meet him face to face.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

Great rhinoplasty results start with a great surgeon.  Make sure that they are board certified in Facial Plastic Surgery or General Plastic Surgery and ideally specialize in rhinoplasty.  I would not accept the idea of not getting to choose your surgeon.  This surgery is considered to be one of the hardest procedures by surgeons.  Not all rhinoplasty surgeons will perform revision surgery.  A good place to start is with the American Rhinologic Society, see link below.  Surgeons that are a member of this society have a specific interest in nasal disorders and surgery.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision septoplasty rhinoplasty

+1

This can be a difficult procedure and likely cartilage grafting will be required.  Get a few consults and choose surgeon who does at least 100 (preferably 200) rhinoplasty procedures/year and has been doing so for 10+ years.

Sam Naficy, MD

Find a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

A septo- and rhinoplasty is a very difficult procedure, especially in light of the fact that it is going to be a revision surgery for the patient. Find an ENT doctor who is specialized in performing facial plastic surgery. It is extremely important to find a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries and has many years of experience doing so. It is also important to have a certified ambulatory surgery center where the procedure is performed, and a board-certified anesthesiologist who is going to be placing you under anesthesia and waking you up after the procedure.