Bump from Hitting Nose After Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty?

I just got Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty done about a week ago. Yesterday, I accidentally hit my nose cast twice with my hand. It wasn't too painful, but it got me worried. I looked inside my nostrils and saw a bump which I don't remember seeing. Anyway, I asked my surgeon and he told me it's just crust; but I don't know, it doesnt look like crust. I was just wondering, should I worry about this, or is it just a possible cause of internal swelling? Thank you.

A common occurrence

+2

Bumping the nose after surgery can pose problems, but happens more commonly than you may think. Since some form of tailoring of the nasal bones is frequently performed during rhinoplasty in the form of elevation of the skin, nasal hump reduction, and/or breaking the nasal bones (osteotomies), the lining of the bone (perisoteum) becomes quite sensitive to touch.

A quick answer is that most of the time, this does not present a problem. However, it is possible to displace the nasal bones within the first 6 weeks after surgery, before the bones are set in place (fibrous healing). Likewise, it is also possible to stimulate the periosteum of the nasal bones to produce more bone with trauma.

The most important thing is frequent follow up with your surgeon. Remember that after surgery, there are no dumb questions. Also remember that most reputable Facial Plastic surgeons are invested in a good result for you , and your concerns are your surgeon's concerns.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hitting nose after rhinoplasty

+1

You stated that your surgery was over a week ago, so I am assuming that any bandages or splints you may have had have been removed.

You did not describe seeing anything on the external part of your nose. That is, you do not report seeing a deviation or bump on the outside of your nose.

You said you saw a bump on the inside of the nose. It is unlikely to cause any problems. If you don't see a bump on the outside of the nose, you're probably okay.

Either way, it is always a good idea to be seen by your surgeon to confirm that nothing has been injured.

John Diaz, MD

Trauma After Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose is protected by the cast. It is possible but not likely you did any harm. You can worry if you feel it is necessary. but it will do no good. In the worst case scenario, your surgeon will have to make some adjustments after the cast is removed.

Trauma to Nose After Nasal Surgery

+1

In the first several weeks following rhinoplasty, the nose is susceptible to injury and alteration of your surgical result if it is hit hard. The most important thing to do is to visit your surgeon early if you have injured your nose in the recovery period. Most likely, no permanent damage will have occurred, but letting your surgeon examine your nose will give you reassurance that all is well. If any damage was done to the result, it is often feasible to correct the problem at the time.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon