Septoplasty for Nose Dent?

I got punched in nose but it didn't bleed or hurt. However, it went red, the skin went wrinkly for a few days, and was tender. There is a small dip in my nose where the bone and cartilage meets. My ENT said that it's not broken, but that my septum was deviated before and its because I am growing, but I'm sure it wsn't like this before. Do you think he was right? Can this dent be fixed with a Septoplasty? I like the rest of my nose and don't want it changed. Is this possible?

Septoplasty for Nose Dent

+1

Septoplasty is designed to correct a deviated septum generally to improve breathing. Rhinoplasty is utilized to improve the shape of the nose.  Your ENT may have been suggesting a rhinoseptoplasty which is the combination of rhinoplasty and septoplasty.

Rhinoplasty For Nasal Deviation

+1

As Dr. Cochran noted, a true septoplasty does not change the shape of the nose except when overresection of the septum causes complications. While the septum can change the outer shape of the nose, a more complicated rhinoplasty, or nasal reshaping, procedure would be needed to correct the problems that you see.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling in the nasal bridge or a permanent hump

+1

The tissues of the nose are quite resilient but will fracture when subjected to great deal of force, typically more than 8 pounds of force. When this happens if there is minimal or no displacement of the cartilage or bones, you may experience swelling for a prolonged period of time but no permanent deformity. If the cartilage or bones are displaced, they may heal in this incorrect position and cause permanent deformity or a bump in your nose. Your best bet is to remember that the structures of the nose are fragile and they do require a significant time to heal. Allow your nose time to heal, approximately 10 to 12 months after a trauma or a surgery before considering a revision surgery to correct a deformity that you are noticing.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Correcting Post-Traumatic Nasal Deformities

+1

A true "septoplasty" does not involve changing the shape of the nose. Septoplasty is a surgery performed to correct a deviated (or crooked) septum. The septum is the piece of cartilage that separates one side of the nose from the other. Normally, the septum is straight. When it is crooked, it is termed a deviated septum. A deviated septum can block the nasal passage and contribute to symptoms of nasal obstruction.

Correction of a deviated septum with a septoplasy involves making an incision on the inside of the nose. The skin covering the septum is lifted off the cartilage and the crooked portion is either removed or reshaped to make the breathing passages more open.

For post-traumatic nasal deformities, particularly ones in which the profile line has changed (as in the case of a dent) may signify more extensive damage to the underlying bony-cartilaginous framework. If the septum has been fractured off from the undersurface of the nasal bones, a septoplasty potentially can further weaken the support of the bridge and lead to a "saddle-nose" deformity. To prevent this, a septorhinoplasty (in which both the septum and the nasal framework are corrected) may be required.

For minor depression of the bridge, sometimes a graft of cartilage or soft tissue can be inserted underneath the skin to camouflage the depression. An alternative means of correction would be to have a "non-surgical" nose job in which a filler substance is injected to fill the depression. The long term results of non-surgical nose jobs are still unknown.

Your best bet is to visit with one or more rhinoplasty specialists to make sure that your diagnosis is correct.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon