Will a septoplasty make my crooked nose looks straighter?

I'm having a septoplasty via the NHS next year. I've had breathing difficulties for years and also have a crooked nose.The consultant said the septoplasty will make my nose also look straighter but I have heard conflicting information about this- is this correct? NB My nose is crooked at the lower section (so the cartilage) and towards the tip.

Will septoplasty make a crooked nose appear straighter?

+1

In general, a septoplasty will not affect the external appearance of the nose. A rhinoplasty is performed for any cosmetic changes the patient desires. Both a septoplasty and rhinoplasty can be performed together during what is called a septorhinoplasty. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to evaluate your nose in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Septoplasty will not change the shape of a crooked nose

+1

A septoplasty procedure is performed through the nostrils operating upon the cartilage and bone in the back of the nose and will have no improvement for a crooked nose. A rhinoplasty needs to be performed to straighten a crooked nose which involves osteotomies and spreader grafts placed on the concave side. For many examples please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Septoplasty does NOT generally change the way that the outside of the nose looks.

+1

Septoplasty generally does NOT change the appearance of the outside of the nose. Surgery to change the way that the outside of the nose looks is "rhinoplasty", and rhinoplasty is generally NOT covered by insurance. Occasionally, when the bottom of the septum is very deviated to one side, the "alar base view", or the view you would see if you were to look in the mirror and tilt your head up to the ceiling, may become straighter (more like an equilateral triangle, after a well-perfomed septoplasty.

Dara Liotta, MD