Septoplasty Using Local Anesthesia Vs General Anesthesia?

I was scheduled to have Septoplasty surgery a few years ago and while undergoing the induction anesthesia I developed hypotension after I was given the Keflex and nasal lidocaine. I was in ICU for a few days and the surgery never took place. I am now having to revisit this again. I am scared out of my mind and would feel more comfortable with local anesthesia. Is there a less invasive way to have this procedure done?

Septoplasty under general anesthesia

+1

I prefer septoplasty under general anesthesia so that the blood does not pool in your throat and cause you to choke. It is a safe way of performing the procedure as long as you use a board certified anesthesiologist and a board certified plastic surgeon.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

Neither Keflex nor Lidocaine should have made you hypotension.  You might want to consult with the anesthesiologist to go over what medications were given to you and how you can avoid the same issues.  You might also want to be tested for an allergy to Keflex by an allergist.  Septoplasty under local could be tough on you, so general is the way to go.  

Web reference: http://www.thepalmercodeinstitute.com

Find out why

+1

The first thing you and y our doctors need to do is find out why you became hypotensive. Are you allergic to Keflex or Lidocaine. Once the medical issues have been worked out then discuss it with your doctor. You will not be happy doing a septoplasty under local.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.