Would a Septoplasty help to straighten my crooked nose? No rhinoplasty. (photos)

Hello. All of my life I have been a mouth breather and its because i have such difficulty breathing through my nose. I am aware that because of this I now have a weak chin and jaw and and need jaw surgery and functional orthodontics to help with that. However I also believe I must have a deviated septum because my nose it so crooked on my face. Would a septoplasty help to straighten my crooked nose?? Please help..

Would a septoplasty straighten the nose

+1
Dear Shell bell,

• A septoplasty alone will likely not change the outside appearance of the nose
  • It looks like you would need some cartilage grafting to not only straighten the nose, but also help you breathe better (spreader grafts)
  • When you are ready, please see a rhinoplasty specialist who deals with breathing problems as well
  • An exam and consultation would help guide you in the right direction

Nima Shemirani

Septoplasty will not straighten a crooked nose

+1
A septoplasty procedure is performed for  medical necessity when there is a blockage of airflow in the back of the nose from twisted bone or cartilage. The  septoplasty procedure will not change the shape of the nose, only improve air flow.
A rhinoplasty procedure can change the shape of the nose, and straighten it. Straightening of the nose is accomplished with a tip rhinoplasty, cartilage grafts such as a spreader graft placed on the concave side, and osteotomies of the nasal bones.
For many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link below our rhinoplasty photo Gallery