Will a Septoplasty Fix my Appearence if Its Dislocated? (photo)

I have been told I have a severe caudal nasal septal deviation with dislocation of the septum off the maxillary crest and the roof sitting at a 45 degree angle. I now have internal and external nasal valve collapse and the appearence has changed considerably. Will a septoplasty correct the appearence and fix the functional problem or Will I require a a septorhiniplasty with spreader and alar barton grafts. Wearing a breathe right strip corrects both the aesthetic and functional problem

septo-rhinoplasty and cartilage grafting

+1

Any septoplasty is only performed for breathing purposes, not to straighten the nose. Spreader grafts could be placed in the internal nasal valve to improve airflow as well on one or both sides.   Surgery for medically indicated procedures as described above can be billed to the patient's insurance for medical necessity.. Any surgery that is performed for cosmetic purposes to straighten the nose and improve the appearance is considered cosmetic and must be paid for by the patient.

Nasal surgery follows the architectural dictum: form follows function

+1

Maneuvers that improve nasal function, especially the caudal septum and nasal valve don't only make your nose work better they also help the nose look better. Adding grafts to improve the nasal valves often improve the appearance of your nose at the same time. However, some of the other associated "tweaks" are often considered cosmetic and may make portions of the surgery to be identified as cosmetic. Those parts won't be covered by insurance.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Septoplasty to Fix My Appearance

+1

A septoplasty will improve your nasal breathing and improve your appearance because it will straighten your nose. However, if you're truly concerned about the appearance I suggest you remove the hump as well narrow and define the tip.

Functional rhinoplasty improves nasal breathing

+1

Great question! Just having you septum fixed will not likely improve your breathing. If BreatheRite strips are helping you, they are opening the nasal valve. Therefore, it is likely you will need a functional septorhinoplasty which would include straightening your septum and using that cartilage as spreader grafts ( to improve the internal nasal valve) and alar batten grafts (to improve the external valve.)  It is helpful to examine your nose when you are deeply inspiring in to see where the collapse occurs.You would have to be examined by a facial plastic surgeon just to be sure. You should know that straightening the nose is one of the most challenging nasal procedures, so look for improvement, not perfection!

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will a Septoplasty Fix my Appearance if Its Dislocated?

+1

If there is both internal and external valve collapse, cartilage grafts would be useful in addition to the septoplasty for the deviation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty with president grafts and putting your septum in the midline.

+1

Rhinoplasty with president grafts and putting your septum in the midline with or without removing your hump is what you need. Select a very experienced surgeon for the best results.