Can a Septoplasty Alone Correct Nasal Valve Collapse and Appearance? (photo)

I have been told that I have a significant caudal nasal septal deviation to the left with complete dislocation of all but my most anterior septum off of the maxillary crest into the left nostril. This had caused not only a functional problem of reduced airflow but also both internal and external nasal valve collapse and a loss of the shape of my nostrils. Will a septoplasty alone restore both functional and aesthetic characterstics to my nose or will i require spreader and or alar batton grafts.

Can a Septoplasty Alone Correct Nasal Valve Collapse and Appearance?

+1

If there is both internal and external valve collapse, cartilage grafts would be useful in addition to the septoplasty for the deviation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Septorhinoplasty Needed for Correction of Deviated Nose and Nasal Valve Collapse

+1

Septoplasty alone is not going to correct all of your nasal problems adequately. You ideally need an open septorhinoplasty using cartilage grafts to support the middle vaults, columella and caudal end of the septum.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Septoplasty alone for curvature and breathing issues?

+1

Just based upon your description and photos it sounds like you will need septal work along with grafts to achieve your desired result.

+1

NO! You would require a septa-rhinoplasty to obtain the results you desire. Best to be seen by a few boarded surgeons. 

Nasal obstruction, deviated septum and valve collapse

+1

Nasal obstruction is caused from a variety of issues we can occlude a deviated septum,valve collapse,  and turbinate hypertrophy. Each one of these issues is addressed differently, after  patients have failed medical therapy.  This consists of nasal sprays antihistamines and decongestants. Once the decision to perform surgery has been made, then a septoplasty will simply straighten deviated nasal septum but will not correct valve collapse. Valve collapse it is usually repaired with a spreader graft on one or both sides depending upon static and dynamic portion of the nose and airway. Occasionally additional  alar batten  grafts or alar rim grafts are used when there is additional  collapse noted. Turbinate reduction surgery is also performed when they are  hypertrophic.

Septopolasty alone will not affect the nasal valve or your appearance

+1

Septoplasty will straighten the septum and relieve any interference in the airway. Both the internal and external nasal valves are different issues with different solutions, and aesthetic appearance will not change by correcting the septum.

+1

Part of the nasal valve is composed by the nasal septum. If it is severely deviated to one side and narrowing the valve, a septoplasty can help open that area of the valve. However, in most people with nasal valve collapse, the issue is a lack of structure that requires some sort of cartilage graft which is usually spreader graft, alar batten or nostril rim graft. I can't say exactly what would help without examining your nose and looking at the dynamic changes that occur with breathing. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will Septoplasty Correct Nasal Valve Collapse/

+1

Straightening of septal deviation will not correct internal nasal valve collapse or weakness and narrowing of the alar rim which are usually treated with cartilage grafts. If after physical examination you are told that you need these additional procedures do them in conjunction with the septoplasty.  

A septoplasty a septoplasty does not fix the faulty nasal valve.

+1

Airway obstruction created by collapse the nasal valve will not be corrected by septoplasty. A septoplasty however may serve as a source of cartilage that is used to fix the nasal valve.

Deviated septum and valvular collapse

+1

Good questions. Ultimately you need to be seen by a rhinoplasty surgeon who can break it down for you. Internal valve collapse is entirely a different issue than a deviated septum. Sometimes they can occur together. Fixing a deviated septum does not by itself fix the internal valve collapse. For that you need to either use spreader grafts or use turn down flaps from the upper lateral cartilage. if your nostril rims are weak than alar grafts are indicated, thus a third distinct problem with it's own solution.

Ronald Schuster, MD