Will Septoplasty Change the Outside Shape of my Nose?

Septoplasty

+2

Septoplasty itself should not change the outward appearance of the nose too much. It may make it look a bit wider in the mid vault and may correct nasal curvatures.

Will a septoplasty change the external appearance of the nose?

+2

A standard septoplasty does not change the outward appearance of the nose.

If there's deviation of the columella or base of the nose, a septoplasty may help.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Septoplasty and Appearance Change

+2

It all depends on you pre op appearance and what the septoplasty is designed to do and must to to help you breath better.   If you nose is crooked, it should end up straighter.    If you are simply having a septoplasty to aid the airway and your nose is in centric position then the septoplasty should not change the appeaarance of your nose.  Discuss this with you ABPS certified surgeon and your will get together his plans and your goals.  It is best when surgeon and patoent plan the same operation with the same goals.  Good Luck     Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

+2

Usually not, but it depends on the degree of deviation, the external appearance of the bridge of the nose, and other factors. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Septoplasty and Nasal Shape

+1
Thank you for your question. Septoplasty is a surgical procedure which generally entails modification of the cartilage of the nasal septum. It is undertaken to improve symptomatic nasal airway obstruction when deviation or crookedness of the septum is judged to contribute to those symptoms. In most cases, septoplasty will not change the outside shape of the nose. If you find your nasal appearance to be unsatisfactory, you may be a candidate for rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty is undertaken to improve the shape and/or size of the outside of the nose. For individualized advice, consult with a qualified nasal surgeon about your concerns. Good luck to you.

James M. Pearson, MD

Will septoplasty change the shape of the nose?

+1
 No, a  septoplasty is performed on the internal back portion of the nose to remove  bone and cartilage that is blocking the airflow in the back of the nose. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose at all, only improve airflow dynamics through it. A rhinoplasty is done for cosmetic purposes. Both a rhinoplasty and septoplasty can be performed simultaneously, but they're 2  completely different operations

Simple septoplasty should not change the shape of your nose

+1

The degree of change in the shape of your septum is determined by the type of septoplasty you underdo. I conducted a study on changes in the shape of the nose after various septoplasty maneuvers (on cadavers). The study showed that aggressive septoplasty maneuvers can change the shape of the nose. It is important that your surgeon discusses these issues if you are undergoing a larger septal reconstruction. 

Dr. Zoumalan

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Septoplasty should not change shape of nose

+1

It is unlikely that the septoplasty would change the shape of your nose. However, if you have a deviation at the base or on the dorsum, then your surgeon may try to correct this as well.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will Septoplasty Change the Outside Shape of my Nose

+1

Regarding: "Will Septoplasty Change the Outside Shape of my Nose?"

It depends.

If your septal deviation does not extend to the back of the nose, than the correction of it should not extend there. However, if the deviation does involve the dorsum then as part of correcting the septal deviation the nose would look different after a septoplasty.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Septoplasty and the shape of the nose

+1

Septoplasty by itself should not have any effect of the shape of your nose. However, the deviated nose may be secondary to deviated nasal septum and in order to correct this, an extensive septoplasty id required.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon