Septoplasty and Turbinoplasty 8 Weeks Ago - my Left Nostril Alternates Closing?

Septoplasty and turbinoplasty 8 weeks ago - my left nostril alternates closing. When I sit down or lie down, the left side closes too. What can I do? Is this a sign of post op swelling?

Nasal swelling and the nasal cycle is often worse briefly after surgery

+2

The nose goes through a normal cycle of alternating sides. The turbinates swell on one side then the other. Rarely do people breathe fully through both nostrils at once. This may be exaggerated by surgery. Also you might not have been aware of this before surgery and are now much more aware of nasal airflow since you are checking it day and night. Give it time and as the nose heals, breathing usually goes back to normal and in the case of nasal surgery, usually better.

Nasal Obstruction 8 weeks after Septoplasty and Turbinoplasty

+2

Even 8 weeks after surgery, it is still possible to have postoperative swelling resulting in occasional blockage within the nose. The turbinates can swell more especially when you lie down. On the other hand, when you are more active, the turbinates generally shrink and breathing becomes easier. At this early postoperative stage, nasal steroid sprays can help to open up the nose. Follow up with your surgeon to see if he/she thinks this would help. After a month or two of nasal steroid use,  if you are still having issues, a close examination of your nose may reveal some persistent structural obstruction due to the septum or turbinate. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your question. Best wishes!

Gregory Park, MD