Does Septoplasty and Turbinate reduction surgery make the nose and nasal septum weaker than it was before surgery?

Does Septoplasty and Turbinate reduction surgery make the nose and nasal septum weaker than it was before surgery? How long does it take for the nose to become as strong as it was before the surgery? When can i start to blow my nose and bend my head again? Your answers will be appreciated thanks in advance

Septoplasty and Turbinate reduction surgery

+1
Septoplasty needs to be performed with preservation of the support by the septal cartilage along the nasal top (dorsum) and the bottom of the nasal septum – preservation of the " L-strut" . This preventsboth  the “saddle deformity” of the mid-nasal vault and disruption of the septal tip support. If performed correctly the nose will remain strong. Turbinate surgery does not decrease on the strength of nasal support, whether cartilage or bone. I allow my patients to blow nose several days after surgery once most of the bleeding subsides. For comfort of my patients I do not pack the nose after surgery, and I thus ease the post-op recovery.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty can improve nasal function

+1
A septoplasty is an operation to reshape the bone and cartilage in the midline of the nose. The procedure is performed in a manner to improve nasal function and avoid weakening the nose.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and turbinate surgery

+1
A septoplasty and turbinate surgery should not  make the nose any weaker as long as an adequate amount of dorsal and caudal support are left intact for structural integrity of the nose.  In our practice patients are able to start blowing the nose gently at two weeks after the surgery and  are asked  to refrain from physical activity for 2 weeks as well