What Makes a Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction Minimally Invasive?

I am planning on getting a septoplasty and a turbinate reduction in the near future. My doctor explained to me that the procedure he performs is minimally invasive, removing a bone from the turbinate, and only making a partial incision into the septum through an endoscope. Is this standard procedure and are there any ramifications to it?

Dubious advantages of endoscopic septoplasty

+2

Septoplasty, whether performed with an endoscope or without one, will leave no visible external scars.  The incision inside your nose will be slightly larger with a traditional septoplasty, but trust me when I say that you as a patient will not notice one difference in terms of recovery, post-operative pain, cosmesis, or effectiveness of the surgery.  In certain applications, such as a browlift, the use of minimal incisions and an endoscope have some real advantages.  When it comes to septoplasty, it does not exhibit the same advantage.

Septoplasty and turbinate reduction

+1

A septoplasty  and turbinate surgery should be done conservatively to  improve airflow through the nose. It can be done with endoscopes or a small incisions on the inside of the nose.   Septoplasty and turbinate surgery can be performed in conjunction with a rhinoplasty if the patient so desires.  The procedures are  still performed under brief general anesthetic, as an outpatient surgical procedure.  The endoscope was don't add any value to the procedure other than to surgically confirm the airflow improvement

Web reference: http://seattle-rhinoplasty.com