Can I Get a Septoplasty and a Breast Reduction at the Same Time?

I need to get a septoplasty. But I also want to get a breast reduction. I don't want to be under anasthesia twice in 1 year along with the down/recovery time. Can I get both at the same time? I am looking for a pure septoplasty- not rhinoplasty. I am fine with my nose and don't want any changes. But I need to fix my collapsed septum so i can breath through both nostrils. Is this possible?

Breast reduction and septoplasty

+1
If you are in good health, you should be able to have the operations the same day. There are many variables, (how much time to be spent on septoplasty, etc;). Best to speak with a board certified plastic surgeon. Together you will review your goals and see what is possible.

Breast reduction and septoplasty

+1
Breast reduction and septoplasty can theoretically be performed at the same time if approved by the insurance company. However, in real life, as opposed to Extreme Makeover, I am personally reluctant to combine procedures. Complication rates increase with the length of the operation and breast reduction, done properly, is a long operation. I would not be inclined to jeopardize the result by performing additional surgery. Your question hasn't provided details with respect to your current bra size and, of course, it is impossible to assess what would be involved in the nasal surgery without an examination. I prefer to have patients concentrate on one procedure. Breast reduction requires maintenance of surgical drains for several days after surgery. Septoplasty has its own discomfort level. Certainly these are both basic procedures in my practice but I do not encourage patients to do everything at once but, instead, to make sure they are satisfied with the outcome and my skills before undertaking more surgeries.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Many different plastic surgery procedures can be combined in one operative procedure, and

+1

septoplasty and breast reduction would go well together.  In general, the advantages of one operation in terms of a single anesthesia and compressed recovery time needs to be balanced against teh risks associated with longer operative procedures, and the practical considerations of which particular operations would go well together.  In your case, there are no implants involved in breast reduction surgery, so septoplasty and exposure to intranasal organisms would not significantly increase the risk of infection in the breast.  Secondly, septoplasty typically takes less than an hour, and combined with reduction the total operative time should not be much more than four hours, which is generally considered a safe time frame.  In addition to the option of finding one plastic surgeon whi is comfortable with both operations, you can also consider having two different surgeons perform the two separate procedures.  I think it is perfectly safe for you to go for it, and I wish you best of luck...

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Septal surgery and breast reduction

+1

It is certainly possible to have a septoplasty and a breast reduction performed at the same time. Speak with your surgeon.

Breast Reduction and Septoplasty

+1

Hello Allyica,

Breast reduction and septoplasty can easily be performed simultaneously.  These are both potentially medically necessary procedures and can possibly be covered either partially or completely by medical insurance as well.

What's most important is finding a surgeon who can do both well.  Have a few consults with surgeons who have a great reputations in both breast surgery and rhinoplasty (I know you DON'T want a rhinoplasty, but surgeons that do a lot of rhinoplasty, especially revision rhinoplasty, can do septoplasty well too).  Look at photos in their offices and have a thorough discussion of the risks, alternatives, and benefits of each proposed procedure.  Be sure that the surgeons are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and are  members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most satisfying procedures for my patients and most feel like 'new women'; the most frequent regret is not having it done sooner!  Combine this with the ability to breath more clearly and you should be very happy.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Septoplasty and Breast Reduction simultaneously?

+1

Yes, these procedures can be performed safely under the same anesthetic.  The instruments and setup are different, and you should find a plastic surgeon who feels comfortable with both of these procedures.

Steve Laverson, MD