Are There Risks with Getting Septoplasty After Rhinoplasty?

I had a badly broken nose when I was 7 years old. My health insurance covers the Septoplasty to improve the breathing function of the nose, but naturally doesn't cover the cosmetic Rhinoplasty procedure. I could get sick leave from work fine with the septoplasty operation at any time, but not with the rhinoplasty, so I decided to go ahead and have the rhinoplasty first during my annual holiday leave for a month in September, via a private hospital. Was this a mistake? Could having a septoplasty some time in the future now damage, or cause cosmetic problems after?

Normally we do these together.

+1

Having said that, you can have the septoplasty done in the future. If the nose is straight then the nose will not have to have the bones fractured.

Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty

+1

In the hands of an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, this combination is actually routine and the standard of care. It is best to combine these procedures for many reasons. In the end, the nose needs to look good but also function well. Often the septal cartilage is used for grafting material that is needed for cosmetic outcome. Without this the surgeon may need to use ear cartilage grafts. Also the septum needs to be modified in order to get the best aesthetic result. So, the advantages are far greater than potential risks in well-trained hands.

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

It is almost always beneficial to combine these procedures together. In performing rhinoplasty the final result can be better assured if the surgeon knows how the septum will effect the final results. A significantly deviated septum can have both functional and cosmetic effects, and it is best to have this under control during the rhinoplasty operation.

Besides, one anesthetic session is always better than two. One recovery period is also an advantage for medical and personal reasons. A qualified and experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to handle both of these issues simultaneously.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon