Septoplasty with Aesthetic Work As Well? (photo)

Hi- I am a 16 year old girl and will be getting septoplasty in a few months due to breathing troubles and chronic, recurrent sinus infections. In addition, I am hoping that the doctor can do some aesthetic work on my nose in order to improve the appearance. Is this possible? (Even considering my age?) What would be the approximate additional cost? Based on my photo, what should I request? (I want the hump filed down, do I need the tip raised?) Thanks!

Septoplasty with Aesthetic Work As Well?

+1

Please share this answer with your parents since you are under 18 years of age.  Of course it's possible to make aesthetic improvements to the nose with a Rhinoplasty at the same time you're having a Septoplasty.  This aesthetic plan should be discussed before surgery with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon so you are both on the same page.  

Septoplasty with Aeshetic Nasal Work

+1

Not only is it safer to do a rhinoplasty and septoplasty together because the patient will have only one operation and recovery, but the results of the two procedures are frequently better when they are combined. Over the past 35 years I almost always do a septoplasty on my rhinoplasty patients. Your hump can be removed and the tip minimally rotated as you suggested. More pictures or a physical examination of your nose would be necessary to aesthetically evaluate your nose and discuss changes in your appearance.  Your nose is physically mature at age 17.

Septum plus cosmetic change

+1

I repair the septum in almost every cosmetic rhinoplasty I do perhaps up to 100 per year. The fee for both varies because frequently insurance is involved for the septum.Fees in my area Beverly Hills range from $6000 to $15000 depending on the practicioner and work to be done

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Septoplasty with Aesthetic Work

+1

If you are considering septoplasty for functional nasal problems, this is an ideal time to have concomitant aesthetic concerns addressed with rhinoplasty.  It spares you a separate procedure and often mitigates some of the cost if your insurance covers the septoplasty portion.

It is seldom a simple procedure and requires a thorough analysis of every aspect of your nose by an experienced surgeon. You want to be sure you get a result that both works better and looks prettier.

Age sixteen is generally considered safe and reasonable for this surgery, but your surgeon can confirm this after evaluating your unique situation. Best wishes!

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty

+1

The combined surgery of functional septoplasty and cosmetic rhinoplasty is one of the most frequent in facial surgery. It is a natural to address the inside and outside at the same time. At times it can be advantageous to straighten a crooked nose, or just reduce the problem of 2 recovery times with two separate surgeries. Make sure your surgeon is comfortable and experienced at both inside/outside nasal surgery. This is the key to a successful outcome.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty with rhinoplasty

+1

These procedures are commonly performed together. You should not take this as a casual add on though. You need to decide on whether you really want a rhinoplasty and then seek an experienced surgeon who does both. Make sure you and your parents have a thorough consult of your goals and expectations. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can be done with functional septoplasty but should be done by a rhinoplasty specialist

+1

One of the more common reasons I see patients for revision rhinoplasty are people who have a deviated septum and as an afterthought ask to have a small bump removed at the same time. Simultaneous septoplasty and rhinoplasty are great to have done together but make sure that your surgeon is an expert at both. Not all skilled septoplasty surgeons are adept at finesse rhinoplasty and not all cosmetic surgeons understand the nuances of reparing a deviated septum.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Cosmetic rhinoplasty at same time as septoplasty

+1

Hi,

Yes it is possible to do a cosmetic nose job at the same time as a functional septoplasty.  but you should take both seriously and not tell your doctor that "while you are there can do do a nose job as well!"

That line ends up getting lots of patients in trouble.  You need to do a proper consultation and see several doctors and find one who can do both the inside and the outside work equally as well.  Your bridge and your tip may need modification and any plastic surgeon needs to see and examine you before making suggestions purely based on a single photograph.  Cost will vary and can be anywhere from $3k - $15K depending on who the plastic surgeon is.  Take your time and do this the right way.  Doing a cosmetic rhinoplasty months or years after a septoplasty makes the rhinoplasty more complex.  

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon