How Will Septo-rhinoplasty Be Done for Bone Blocking Nose?

I'm having a septorhinoplasty done soon, mainly to straighten the septum, but also because I have a bit of bone blocking the left side of my nose (on the side of the bridge). I was wondering, how will the doctor remove this bone, and will he have to shave the dorsum down a bit to reach the side?

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty for straightening nasal bones

+2

A septoplasty combined with a rhinoplasty is a good combination to straighten the nose and remove portions of bone that may be blocking your airway. Keep in mind that deviations in your nose and septum are caused by several anatomical structures. For this reason, all these anatomical structures should be addressed at the same time. This can be done with a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty. Your surgeon should review the surgery with you. Typically, we separate the septum from the lateral walls of the nose and addressed each component that is causing the deviation. Depending on the type of deviation and its severity, you may need splints or a portion of straight cartilage to provide support. Be sure that you're working with a board-certified plastic surgeon was a great deal of experience with deviated noses and with rhinoplasty.

Septo-rhinoplasty

+2

A rhinoplasty is not done for bone blocking nasal passageway. You may have a bone spur in the back part of the nose blocking your air passageway, which needs to be removed. This is located more posteriorly in the back of the nose, not along the nasal bridge. Without a physical exam of your nose, details of surgical technique is difficult to determine. The front part of the septum is cartilage, and the back portion is bone, both bone and cartilage need to be addressed when a septoplasty is performed.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Removing nasal bone to help breathing.

+1

Your septum is made of cartilage near the nostrils and bone towards the back. The narrowest area of the entire respiratory tract is just inside the nostrils. Unless the sides of the nose are collapsed, bone usually doesn't need to be removed.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

You Need to Have a second Consultation with Your Surgeon!

+1

Since you have already scheduled this procedure it is apparent to me that you desire additional information about the procedure.  You should ask for a second consult with your surgeon and have him explain this in more detail.

Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternative Techniques in Rhinoplasty

+1

You have not submitted pictures of your nose. Therefore, it is difficult to outline alternative approaches.

Ask your physician about the abnormality present and the rational for the surgery that will be done in your particular case.