Will a Septo-rhinoplasty Affect my Singing?

I have a deviated septum and a bumb on the bridge of my nose I was thinking recently about getting corrected. I think I got a deviated septum from a pimple on my septum and the swelling never went down all the way. Could this surgery negatively or positively affect my singing? I don't rely on my voice soundings nasal. Occasionally I sound nasal because I have allergies, but that's not a quality of my voice I like. I've been insecure about how my nose looks lately, its larger then average.

Affect of septorhinoplasty on singing voice

+1

A septorhinoplasty might make the voice sound less nasal.  Straightening a deviated septum will improve the airflow dynamics through the nose, while rhinoplasty will alter the shape of the nose.  Allergies are managed with medications.

Septo-rhinoplasty Affect Singing?

+1

It would be extremely rare for a septoplasty, rhinoplasty, or both to affect your singing voice on a long-term basis

Sam Naficy, MD

+1

Yes, Rhinoplasty or Septoplasty can possibly change the nasal quality of your voice...or it may have no effect.  Intubation for a general anesthesia also carries a very small risk of changing your voice through vocal cord injury or artenoid displacement...this can be reduced with the use of an LMA instead of an ET tube.  Bottom line, there is a risk albeit a very small one.  I have performed Rhinoplasty on numerous poerformers and singers, so it can be done but nothing is without some risk.

Rhinoplasty should have no impact on your singing voice, that is an old "wive's tale"

+1

Before I went solo, I was in a group practice that included a PhD in speech therapy. She treated singers ranging from top opera to rock and roll singers. A properly trained singer should have no change in their voice after septorhinoplasty, since the voice should be generated by the chest, throat (larynx) and mouth. As a matter of fact, if you have a deviated septum, fixing the septum could improve your breathing and make it easier to sing. A very small minority of singers have a nasal quality, these few may be affected. But, these are not classically trained singers.

The passed around comment that Barbara Streisand couldn't have a nosejob because it would change her voice is false, her nose was unrelated to her beautiful voice and became part of her overall persona.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD