Would the Removal of a Septal Bone Spur Alter the Appearance of My Nose?

I recently had an MRI done because I have sinus problems and it revealed a large septal bone spur. Would the removal of the septal spur alter the appearance of my nose? Could the bump be from the septal spur or is it part of my nasal bone? I have a small bump on my nose I would like removed as well as improving sinus function. Thanks

Surgery to remove a septal spur should not change your appearance

+2
Only through a consultation, physical examination, and review of your MRI can it be determined whether removal of your septal bone spur is needed.  If it is deemed necessary, then this should not alter your external nasal appearance.  Removal of a small dorsal hump could be done at the same time as any septal surgery.

Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of septal bone spur will not alter appearance of nose

+1

A septal bone spur has nothing to do with the outward appearance of the nose.  A septal bone spur is located further posteriorly just above the roof of the mouth on the internal posterior nasal cavity.  A bone spur can cause facial headaches, pain and pressure, and obviously nasal obstruction.  It should be removed if causing the above symptoms and medication management has been ineffective.  Chronic sinus infections are best addressed with endoscopic sinus surgery to open diseased sinuses when there are polyps located inside the sinuses.  Both of these procedures do not effect the outward appearance of the nose.  Rhinoplasty is performed on the outward appearance of the nose to address any cosmetic feature changes. 

Septal spur

+1

septal spurs are internal and have no effect on the nasal appearance. Likewise lowering an external hump will not treat a septal spur.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal spur is inside the nose

+1

No, the septal spur is a term describing a deflected or crooked section of the septal bone which is inside the nose.  This has no effect on the exterior nasal bone hump or bump.  Fixing the septum with Septoplasty will therefore not effect the exterior aesthetic size and shape of the nose and is performed to improve nasal breathing by increasing the size of the nasal airway.

Septal Spur

+1

Hi,

Your septal spur is part of your bony septum. When this is removed, there should be no change to the cosmetic appearance to your nose. You can have your hump removed at same time but this will not affect your breathing in any way.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS