Did I Cause a Septal Hematoma?

I had an open septo-rhinoplasty 5 motnhs ago and I like the result so far. The problem is that while I was cleaning my nose (2 months post op) with a q-tip I went too deep and there was some blood on the q-tip. After that my nose was swollen inside and out and I experienced breathing problems ( only breathe from one nostril, sometimes right or left). Is this from the swelling or is it a septal hematoma or any other problem? Before this happened my breathing was great from both nostrils.

Rhinoplasty or Septoplasty Injury at Three Months by Q-Tip Unlikely

+2

Dear Abdo,

You have heard about the dangers of Q-Tips in the ear canal? Also the nose. Stay out!!

That long after surgery, not likely you caused a problem.

Time for your surgeon to take a careful look inside and tell you what is happening. It would be unusual for a septal hematoma to have occurred but..... this is Nature and who knows

Call your surgeon-- today -- and get the answers you deserve. And, then , toss the Q-Tips.

-Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Web reference: http://www.robertkotlermd.com