Septal Deviation of 5-6mm and Nasal Septal Spur: Severe Enough to Need Septoplasty?

I have had constant nasal congestion, head aches, sinus infections, ear infections, pressure in my ears, and post nasal drip for a while now. I recently got health insurance because I no longer live with my parents and can't be covered under their policy. My dr. gave me claritan, an antibiotic, singular, nasonex, and flonase. nothing improved my breathing after two weeks on all of the meds so my dr. ordered the ct scan of my paranasal sinuses those were my results. Will I need surgery?

Degree of septal deviation needed for septoplasty

+1

A moderate to severe septal deviation documented on a CAT scan along with a history of symptoms that are unrelieved with medications is usually an indication for surgical intervention.  It is important to try medications first and make sure that they are not working prior to undergoing surgical intervention such as a septoplasty.  In addition, it is also important to address turbinates if they are hypertrophic and once lateralized can improve the airflow dynamics through the nose.  Chronic sinus infections are addressed through endoscopic sinus surgery if there are polyps located inside the sinuses.  This can all be done simultaneously.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/internet_consultation.html

Indications for septopasty

+1

In my practice, the indication for septoplast is based on clinical exam and patient history. If allergy is an issue then complete that part of the workup and treat before moving on to an invasive procedure.

Deviated septum doesn't always need septoplasty

+1

A septoplasty is required when the septal cartilage or bone is deviated to the point that it obstructs the nasal breathing.  This can't be detrmined by a CT scan but needs to be determined by an examination of each nasal airway.  If you have adequate space between the septum and the inferior turbinate, you don't need a Septoplasty. 

The Septoplasty will not address the list of symptoms that you listed which maybe due to airborne allergies.  You might consider seeing an allergist for testing to rule that out.  Nasal steroid sprays are helpful but don't really take effect until they're used for 4 weeks.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

You must be seen

+1

Most doctors do not operate on an x-ray report only. You must be seen and evaluated prior to making any decision regarding surgery. The ct was probably ordered because if you expect your insurance to pay the doctor, they require it. Most well trained physicians can look in your nose and see if you need to have your septum fixed.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com