Is It Possible to Get Septal Cartilage from a Donor to Use for Dorsal Augmentation?

is it possible to get septal cartilage from a donor to use for dorsal augmentation for asian rhinoplasty? i have a typical asian nose with a wide base and a low dorsum. i feel like i may not have enough septal cartilage to use my own. please let me know. with lots of details and info! thank you!

Cartilage for dorsal augmentation

+1

It is not possible to take cartilage from another person and implant that into someone different.  On the person receiving this cartilage, the immune system will reject the cartilage and the graft will completely fail.  It is always best to use the patient’s own cartilage, either from the nose, ears, or ribs or a synthetic implant to augment the bridge.

Cartilage for augmentation of the nasal dorsum

+1

Great question. In general, autologous cartilage (cartilage harvested from your own body) is the best grafting material to restore the framework of your nose.  Septal cartilage is my first choice.  But in many cases, there may not be enough available, or the cartilage from the septum may be compromised.  I would not recommend using irradiated septal cartilage as a second choice, as there are other options available if you do not have enough of your own. Using a PDS plate with ear cartilage is now a good choice, and can be a second option after septal cartilage. Rib cartilage is also a great choice. It is very strong, and much more rigid than ear cartilage, for example.  In addition, a far greater amount can be harvested. Removing a portion of the cartilage from the rib does not affect support or structure to the rib cage.  If perichondrium is left intact, cartilage can actually regrow in this area.  Rib cartilage is also very versatile, and there are many reasons why this is beneficial during surgery.  The versatility allows me to choose whatever type of cartilage I need for reconstruction.  If it is curved, I’ll use it for the nasal tip.  A piece of the middle aspect of the rib cartilage, which I know will be straight, is great for the middle vault of the nose.  The straight portion also is good for filling in the nasal dorsum if we are going to use the chopped cartilage, versus the columellar strut for the spreader grafts. With my cases, I assess the situation and determine what type of cartilage will allow me to accomplish what I set out to do during surgery and leave the patient with the best possible result. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Asian Rhinoplasty is a very common request in my practice.  In the nose, I prefer to use cartilage from your own body to build up the tip or dorsum.  The septum is not the only harvest site.  I prefer to use ear cartilage which does not change the shape of the ear in any way.  I have seen many complications from patients who have had foreign body placed in the nose by others that have required revision rhinoplasty.  My recommendation is to have the rhinoplasty done right the first time so you don't have to have a revision.  Please consult with a board certified Asian Rhinoplasty specialist who can best assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Donor cartilage for Asian dorsal augmentation

+1

I'm not aware of using donor septal cartilage for bridge augmentation. The more typical method of using donor cartilage is by using rib cartilage. This provides a larger amount of cartilage that facilitates augmenting the bridge. You can learn more about bridge augmentation at my link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nasal augmentation

+1

I'm not a big fan of nasal augmentation in most Asians. Sounds like a good idea, but they often look weird. Most surgeons will probably use a plastic implant, but even those end up looking odd, so I avoid the procedure altogether.  The only exception might be for post traumatic reconstruction, but not for pure cosmetic purposes.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Dorsal augmentation

+1

Irradiated rib (immunologically neutral) or silastic is the best choice. Seek the opinion of PS specifically experienced in this.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The main source of donor cartilage is irradiated rib not septal cartilage. The reason for this is the volume of cartilage available from a donor rib as opposed to the nasal septum. There are issues with irradiated cartilage reabsorbing or warping at a higher rate than your own cartilage. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Augmentation in Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

The best implant material for nasal augmentation in Asian or any Ethnic patients is silicon implants. This has been proven time and time again by many top ethnic rhinoplasty surgeons. However, autologous septal cartilage is not available to my knowledge. Consider custom carved silicone implant it has the dimensions necessary for great results. You just have to find a surgeon that knows how to use them.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Tracylimmm, 

Cartilage from another donor is not typically used in augmenting the dorsum in asian rhinoplasty. I personally have a large asian rhinoplasty clientele and I use the septal cartilage, ear cartilage or a nasal implant with very satisfactory results. If you would like to contact me personally at my email address listed below I would be happy to show you before and after photographs using these techniques. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Septal Cartilage for Augmentation of my Nose

+1

Cartilage from another person would not be used to augment your dorsum unless it was irradiated, but survival usually is not as good as it would be using your own tissue. In 35 years of doing this work I've never seen an Asian patient who could not augment their nose using their own septal and ear cartilage.