Is It Possible to Use Septal Cartilage for the Nose Bridge/dorsal Augmentation?

I don't want to use foreign material like silicon or gortex, but rib graft rhinoplasty is so much more expensive. I'm Asian, so I don't think a really tall nose would look natural on me anyway.. Thank you all for your help!

Septal cartilage for nasal bridge augmentation

+1

It is possible to use nasal septal cartilage for nose and dorsal augmentation in an Asian rhinoplasty.  However, there needs to be enough cartilage is needed in the nose to perform the augmentation.  Frequently in an Asian nose the septum is quite thin and a double or triple stack of the patient’s own cartilage is needed to create enough augmentation.  This is performed under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.  It is important to perform computer imaging and have a frank discussion with the surgeon to make sure that the goals can be accomplished.

Paitents own septal cartillage to augment nose

+1

I agree. why use foreign material when you can use your own cartilage. For an Asian augmentation Rhinoplasty I often use cartilage from the nasal septum to both augment the bridge and the tip as required. If you have had previous surgery on your nose and the septal cartilage is no longer available then that is a different story. 1st time Rhinoplasty? septal cartilage is excellent choice.

Web reference: http://www.8west.ca/resources/video/rhinoplasty/asian-bridge-tip-augmentation/

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Dorsum Augmentation

+1

Dear Kim,

Septal cartilage is a great choice given the fact that enough cartilage could be harvested from that site to achieve your desired augmentation.

Without photos and physical examination, it is hard to be definitive about a particular site from where a surgeon can harvest the autologous material for a cartilage graft; ear and rib cartilages are other options as you may already know.

That said, I recommend that you seek a consultation with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience in rhinoplasty who will guide you to make a well informed decision.

Being an Asian patient, your facial features are to be taken into consideration because if you are looking for conservative changes then a delicate surgical approach is to be adopted.

Finally, if you desire permanent results I would advise you to disregard the option of resorting to dermal fillers to achieve your goal.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Carriage graft

+1

I agree with you.  Septal cartilage grafts are ideal to augment the bridge of the nose.  The cartilage is easily harvested at the time of surgery.  The piece of cartilage may not be as large as a silicone implant, but it may be an option worth exploring.  Adorsal cartilage graft using septal cartilage is a standard and routine plastic surgical procedure and works well if you are the right candidate.

Web reference: http://edelsonplastic.com/face/rhinoplasty/

Non-surgical rhinoplasty is great for augmenting the nasal dorsum.

+1

Septal cartilage may definitely be used for augmenting the nasal bridge.  If there is not enough septal cartilage to raise the bridge to the desired height, cartilage from the ear may be safely combined for dorsal augmentation.

Personally, I prefer non-surgical rhinoplasty for augmenting the nasal bridge.  I use Restylane, Perlane, Radiesse, or Artefill to augment the nasal bridge.  This method has the following benefits:

• Contouring may be done in a very smooth and detailed manner.
  • The patient can give the doctor feed back on the results.
  • The results are immediate
  • The risks are a lot less than with a surgical procedure

I find that with Restylane and Radiesse, the results last longer each time and there is some build up of the patients own collagen.

I hope this was helpful, good luck in your search for information!

Web reference: http://www.yourfaceinourhands.com/plastic-surgery/dermafillers-nose.cfm

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal Cartilage to Augment Nasal Bridge

+1

For 35 years septal and ear cartilage have been my first choice to augment the nasal bridge. Rib cartilage is much more difficult to harvest. I feel it is always better to use the patient's own tissue whenever possible rather than foreign material.

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

If you are only unhappy with the bridge of your nose, cannot get glasses to fit, ect, there are 2 options.

1) Nonsurgical rhinoplasty.  In the office injectable fillers like Juvederm or Radiesse can be placed along the bridge of your nose to add height.  There is no real downtime, it is economical, and the fillers last about a +/- year.

2) Limited rhinoplasty:  If you are only concerned with the bridge of your nose a limited rhinoplasty can be performed to place a graft to increase the height of the nasal bridge. 

Cartilage, silicone and gortex all have the same longevity in that they are all considered permanent.  All three grafts are frequently used to augment the bridge of the nose.  If you ask 10 different surgeons you will get 10 different opinions on which material is the absolute best choice and why you should avoid the other two.

I believe them all to be acceptable options that can lead to good results.  Silicone implants come presized and Gortex needs to be sculpted by the surgeon.  Both are synthetic and have the potential for infection.  That being said, hip replacements, heart valves, and hundreds of other implants are safely and reliably used throughout the body. 

Cartilage has less risk of infection, needs to be expertly sculpted, and his the risk of warping over time.  Because there is no clear best option all three grafts are routinely used and your surgeon will likely have a preference for one.

Hope this helps

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage grafting in rhinoplasty

+1

Septal cartilage less forgiving and less abundant (especially in Asian nose) than diced cartilage and fascia graft, composed of septal and/or ear cartilage.  You may need tip graft as well, and restricting yourself to septum as the only source limits the amount of correction that can be achieved.

Web reference: http://www.feelbeautiful.com

Ribs etc.

+1

Rib grafts leave scars but can work very well in rhinoplasty.  Silastic dorsal grafts also work well but can shift or become infected.  Auricular grafts work well but tend to disappear over time.  There are other alloplastic grafts available but each material has pros & cons. Consult your favorite Cosmetic Surgeon for a further consultation!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

I am not sure why it should be that much more expensive since you do not have to pay for the price of implants. You have another options available to you which is ear cartilage from one or both ears.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.