I Have Had 3 Seperate Breast Lifts- Areola is Still Much Larger Than I Want, What Are My Options?

Could I have a 4th surgery and still be safe??? I have heard of blood loss? It has been 4 yrs since I had my third one. I love the shape of my breasts. Just not happy with size of areolas. This would be the 4th surgery on the areola...help!

Areola reduction with breast lift surgery

+2

Thank you for your question. Reducing the size of the areola is typically a standard part of breast lift surgery. It is rather unusual to require the procedure four times unless your areolae were very large to begin with. Blood loss is not much of a problem with a breast lift. Loss of blood supply to the nipple and areola can be a risk and is much more of a concern if you are a smoker (quit anyway if you are!).  If you have had a full lift or a 'lollipop' lift in the past, you should not need any new scars to get your desired result.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

4th surgery on areolas...

+2

Every time someone operates on your breasts and particularly the nipples, there is a risk of loss of blood supply to the nipple, healing problems, or complete nipple loss.   (It is not usually a "blood loss" problem for your health, rather for your nipple!)    To evaluate your particular situation, I think that you should seek consultation from 1 or more board-certified plastic surgeons.  It is not usual to need that many procedures on the areola, so your complete history and a physical exam is necessary to give safe advice as to what can be done.

Michelle Spring, MD

Areola reduction

+1

An areola reduction is a fairly straightforward procedure that can even be done under local anesthesia.  Of course with previous procedures done before it would certainly warrant a full exam and full history.

Blood loss in mastopexy

+1
There is very little blood loss in a breast lift so this should not be a major concern. More critical is the risk of loss of blood supply to the nipple areolar complex. Given that you have already undergone three operations in this area, scarring is an obvious concern. Without photos the condition of your breasts is unclear to me but you should consult a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Areola Reduction?

+1

Yes you will likely be able to have further surgery safely.  Blood “loss” is not a concern;  however, blood flow to the nipple areola complexes  is of concern.  It is also concern  that you have required several operations on the areola thus far;  it suggests that there may be significant tension in the area and/or skin elasticity issues.

Please make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Question about reduction of an enlarged nipple-areola complex

+1

It is definitely possible to have a procedure to reduce the size of your nipple-areola complexes despite the fact that you have already have 3 previous mastopexies. There should be virtually no blood loss if this is a straightforward reduction in diameter. However, there are a few considerations including blood supply concerns and the effects of the reduction on the overall shape of the breasts. If your areolas are extremely large and need a sizable reduction, this will be more of a factor.

Make sure that you see a reputable board certified plastic surgeon AND make him/her aware of your past surgical history.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Revision mastopexy

+1

Photos would help.  That said, your surgeon should be aware of previous surgeries and there is always the possibility of compromise of the blood supply to the nipple areaola with repeat surgery.  Donald R. Nunn MD   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD