Sensory Loss Following Reduction Mammoplasty

i had a breast reduction mammoplasty since 3 years ,following the surgery i lost sensation of touch in the nipple and areola, but i fell pressure and temperature and pain...the rest of the breast sensation is significantly decreased for touch. this is annoying for me and my husband ....is there any way to restore sensation in the nipples and areola using drugs or other forms of treatment??

Breast Reduction and Loss of Sensation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration;   unfortunately, the loss of sensation is likely to be permanent.  Don't be surprised however if you very gradually regain sensation along the periphery of the breast  skin.

Sensitivity ot nipple

+1

Unfortunately if you have lost sensation to the nipple and areola and it has been 3 years, there are no techniques that I know of to restore the sensation.

Increasing sensitivity after breast reduction

+1

I am not aware of any techniques which can consistently and reliably achieve increased sensitivity in the breast following reduction mammaplasty

Unfortunately, not much to offer

+1

Dear Marmora

I wish I had something more to offer than no.  Breast reduction by the nature of the surgery removes breast tissue and the nerve to the nipple runs through the breast tissue.  50-60% of patients will have some sensoration diminution after a reduction.  If the sensory change has become worse over time it may due to scar tissue but this is very rare.  I wish I could offer you more. SHS

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Sensation changes after Breast Reduction

+1

Sensation changes after breast surgery are quite common. Most resolve to normal after 1 year. After that, any persistent sensation changes are typically permanent. There is no way to restore sensation.

Hayley Brown, MD

Loss of Sensation after Breast Reduction Surgery may be permanent

+1
The breast skin and nipple complex derive their sensation through several nerve sources. Unfortunately, these nerves can be injured in the process of removing large amount of breast tissue as is done in making the breasts smaller in Breast Reduction operations. The potential sensory losses may be greater with some techniques as compared to others. (Breast Reduction techniques are usually classified by where the nipple complex is left attached to the chest wall - the PEDICLE. As such we have, Superior pedicle techniques (the tissue is removed from the bottom of the breast but left intact superiorly), Inferior Pedicle techniques, Superior-Medial Pedicle techniques, Central pedicle technique etc). In many women, a transient loss of sensation gets better with time as nerves grow into the injured area and some sensation returns. But by three years after surgery the likelihood of this happening is not great and you may be looking at a permanent result. Sorry. Dr. Peter Aldea