Sensitivity on Newly Crowned Teeth?

I had removed a 20 year old 3 teeth crown removed because one of the teeth needed a root canal. 2 months after putting in the new porcelain crowns, I am feeling sensitivity to cold on one of the teeth. It hurts slightly too when I tap on it. Does this teeth need a root canal or is it due to poor crowning

Sensitivity on newly crowned teeth

+1

Hi. You definitely need a root canal; its your best option! The issue here is that to perform a root canal your dentist will have to go through your bridge, and its brand new, so probably you will need a bridge replacement. You need to talk to your doctor about this.

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Sensitivity on Newly Crowned Teeth

+1

I assume the sensitivity is not an the tooth that had a root canal.  Sounds to me that either you need a bite adjustment (that should relieve the pain on tapping).  The sensitivity should gradually subside.  If not, then you may need a root canal on that tooth as well.

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth Sensitivity

+1

A newly placed bridge/crown may show signs of sensitivity for a couple of days but as your sensitivity is there since 2 months, I would strongly recommend that you visit your dentist for a consultation. You may require one of the following:-   bite adjustment or replacement of a faulty bridge or a root canal of the sensitive tooth.

Shivangi Gajwani Jain, MDS
India Cosmetic Dentist

Reasons why can a recently crowned tooth be sensitive

+1

After the placement of any crown, you can experience sensitivity for the following reasons.

1) your tooth need time to settle and heal from reversible pulpits( swelling of the nerve within which can happens any time your have dental restorations)

2) your crown needs bite adjustments

3) crown does not fit and seal  properly

4) Your tooth is experiencing irreversible (  you'll need a root canal)

So, first go back to the dentist so that he/she could rule out 1-3, and if it is not going away, then root canal is necessary. 

Good luck

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Sensitive teeth

+1

It sounds like there was trouble under the bridge to begin with.  I am sure your dentist did his best to avoid a root canal, but from the symptoms you are describing it seems you may need one.   You should return to your dentist for a consultation

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

My Teeth Are Sensitive After New Crown Placed

+1

First, I would go back to your dentist and have him make absolutely sure that your bite is even and that you are not hitting "high" or harder on the newly placed crown.  He will no doubt also take an x-ray to determine if the crown fits properly (if it is not it could be the reason you are so sensitive to cold) and if the root canal tooth is healing.  If the bite is even and the crown fits properly, then I would next consult with the root canal specialist (endodontist) or dentist who did your root canal.  About 5% of teeth that undergo root canal treatment fail and/or need retreatment.  However, if you had a root canal, that particular tooth would not be the one that is sensitive to cold.  So your marching orders are:  1) go back to your dentist, have him make sure your bite is spot on and the crowns fit properly 2) make sure your root canal is healing properly 3) give things time to settle down.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Does sensitive tooth under bridge need a root canal?

+1

Chances are that you do not need a root canal.  I would have your dentist  check your bite first.  A bite that hits first can make the tooth sensitive to tapping and cause sensitivity to cold.

Cold sensitivity can result just from the dental work and a desensitizer may help speed recovery if there are no bite issues.  Cold usually goes away, teeth that are sensitive to hot and cold makes them feel better usually need a root canal treatment.

Ira Shapira, DDS
Lake Forest Cosmetic Dentist

Crown sensitivity

+1

The sensitivity can be due to a variety of reasons. You should see your dentist if it continues to bother you.

Lilya Horowitz, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist