Permanent Sensitivity Issues After Breast Augmentation

Sometimes They Say Sensitivity Issues Are Permanent After Breast Augmentation. At What Point is It Considered Permanent? I am 43 years old and I am 5 months post op breast augmentation. I had 275cc silicone under the muscle placed underneath the breast in the crease. I am still experiencing quite a bit of sensitivity issues on the scars on the underside of the breasts as well as on both nipples. My PS has placed me on Lyrica 50mg daily. I am worried this condition is permanent. He said it can take up to 1 year. What do you think? Do you have any more suggestions?

Scar sensitivity after breast augmentation

+2

Sensitivity in the scar under your breast and nipple sensitivity are not related. Hypersensitive nipples can occur during healing because of stretch of the nerves and breast tissue and the normal inflammation of healing. No one knows how long your nipple will remain sensitive though it seems to clear up within a year. Tenderness in the inframammary scar may be related to your particular skin type as you may be prone to a thick or hypertrophic scar. Scar massage, silicone sheeting, or a small amount of steroid used cautiously can all help reduce the burn or tenderness within the scar.

peterejohnsonmd

Nipple and Scar Sensitivity Can Take More than a Year!

+2

Sensitivity issues can take 18 months or longer to resolve.

Hypersensitivity usually responds well to time, Lyrica, and sensory reeducation (massaging or rubbing the area so the nerves can "re-learn" how to respond normally).

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+2

Yes at least a year but you are also correct in thinking this could be permanent. Other suggestions is bio feed back therapy. Regards from MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

Sensitivity after breast augmentation

+2

It can take up to a year and sometimes longer for patients sensations to return to normal.  The scar itself may always feel funny.

Breast sensitivity after augmentation is common.

+1

Breast sensitivity is fairly common after breast augmentation.  Up to a year is definitely a reasonable amount of time to determine if sensitivity will subside 

Sensation Changes after Breast Augmentation

+1

In general your nerve-related symptoms after Breast Augmentation can be permanent, but will likely continue to change and improve over the first year.  After that, the likelihood that you will experience changes in your symptoms is low.  Best of luck from Seattle, WA.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Most womens nipples regain normal sensation in the first 3 months.

+1

Scar sensitivity and nipple sensitivity are two different issues. Both can take anywhere from 1-3 years to regain maximal sensation. You don't state if your nipples are overly sensitive or if you have decreased sensation. Hypersensitivity is more common during the first few months and almost always returns back to normal within the first 6 months. Decreased sensation can take 1-3 years to get as much sensation back as you will likely get. Most patients have normal sensation within about 3 months as the swelling goes away. But if your nerves have been injured due to stretching or traumatized in any way from the surgery, they can take much longer to recover to their fullest, which may not be 100%.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Sensitivity after Breast Augmentation

+1

The fact that you have increased sensitivity after your surgery almost guarantees that you will recover your normal sensation. The problem is your brain’s figuring out what the nerves are telling it after injury to the nerves. Think of it as having a cut telephone cable with the telephone company having only colorblind technicians. When the cable is repaired, none of the wires are put back together properly (the green to the red, orange to the blue, etc.). When you make a call, you get the wrong party. The only way to fix this is to reroute everything at the switchboard. Right now, you are in the rerouting phase. Once you learn where the nerve endings are now (and forget where they were), sensation will normalize. You can help the relearning by touching the area with different textures, etc. The more you touch and rub the area, the faster the sensation normalizes. This may, however take another several months, even up to a year or more. Hang in there, though, it will improve.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Sensitivity Changes After Breast Augmentation

+1

You did not state the exact changes in sensation which you are experiencing.  If you have numbness in your nipples after 5 months, there is still a chance that the sensation will return.  The sensitivity in your inframammary scar will probably be improved by massaging the scar, especially if you use a scar product which contains silicone.

John Whitt, MD

Sensitivity issues

+1

Sometimes you may experience sensitivity changes or issues in your breasts even longer than 1 year after surgery!  Sensation can gradually  return to certain areas or normalize up to 2-3 years on occasion.  There may always be a strange sensation over the scar, but this does not typically bother patients over time.

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon