Permanent Sensitivity Issues After Breast Augmentation

Sometimes They Say Sensitivity Issues Are Permanent After Breast Augmentation. At What Point is It Considered Permanent? I am 43 years old and I am 5 months post op breast augmentation. I had 275cc silicone under the muscle placed underneath the breast in the crease. I am still experiencing quite a bit of sensitivity issues on the scars on the underside of the breasts as well as on both nipples. My PS has placed me on Lyrica 50mg daily. I am worried this condition is permanent. He said it can take up to 1 year. What do you think? Do you have any more suggestions?

Scar sensitivity after breast augmentation

Sensitivity in the scar under your breast and nipple sensitivity are not related. Hypersensitive nipples can occur during healing because of stretch of the nerves and breast tissue and the normal inflammation of healing. No one knows how long your nipple will remain sensitive though it seems to clear up within a year. Tenderness in the inframammary scar may be related to your particular skin type as you may be prone to a thick or hypertrophic scar. Scar massage, silicone sheeting, or a small amount of steroid used cautiously can all help reduce the burn or tenderness within the scar.

Nipple and Scar Sensitivity Can Take More than a Year!

Sensitivity issues can take 18 months or longer to resolve.

Hypersensitivity usually responds well to time, Lyrica, and sensory reeducation (massaging or rubbing the area so the nerves can "re-learn" how to respond normally).

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Yes at least a year but you are also correct in thinking this could be permanent. Other suggestions is bio feed back therapy. Regards from MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

Sensitivity after breast augmentation

It can take up to a year and sometimes longer for patients sensations to return to normal.  The scar itself may always feel funny.

Sensitive nipples after augmentation

Thank you for your question. Hypersensitivity to the nipple or other breast regions is normal after surgery. The nerves may have been stretched and transiently down for the count. As they wake up, they want to let you know they are still there by over signalling their presence. Hence very sensitive nipples. Things typically do resolve with time. In the meantime, you can take two approaches. Compression or tape to minimize friction on the nipples. The other approach could be desensitization with over stimulation (e.g. vibration). Lyrica or gabapentin are options when the hypersensitivity is unbearable.  I would continue to follow along with your plastic surgeon as this may be a prolonged process to resolve.

Permanent sensitivity issues after breast augmentation

After a breast augmentation most sensory changes return to normal within 6 months. Occasionally however it may take up to 2 years to fully regain normal sensation. The vast majority of patients return to normal sensitivity during this period of time. It is extremely unlikely that your condition is permanent.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Permanent sensitivity issues after breast augmentation?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Sensitive scars and nipples

Dear Ibindy,
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with this issue.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast sensitivity after augmentation is common.

Breast sensitivity is fairly common after breast augmentation.  Up to a year is definitely a reasonable amount of time to determine if sensitivity will subside 

Sensation Changes after Breast Augmentation

In general your nerve-related symptoms after Breast Augmentation can be permanent, but will likely continue to change and improve over the first year.  After that, the likelihood that you will experience changes in your symptoms is low.  Best of luck from Seattle, WA.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon