Are Facelift Compression Garments offered with Natural or Synthetic Fibers?

For sensitive skin, will compression garments irritate skin? Are compression garments worn around the clock, and if so, for how many days?

Face lift dressing

+1

The face lift dressing we use is natural cotton with a synthetic compression wrap around it.  You can always get the dressing material ahead of time and try it against your skin.

Duration ofCompression Garments after Facelift

+1

I do not use compression garments as part of the gauze dressings I use for 3-5 days after facelift surgery. If your surgeon does use compression, he/she can place a thin barrier between the garment and your skin.

Compression garments after face lift

+1

Most garments are made not to irritate any skin. If the garment is irritating, fluffed gauze such as Kerlix can be placed between the skin and the garment. Often compression dressings are not placed initially but after the first dressing is removed. They come in all sizes and types from simple slings to total facial/neck garments. The rationale for use is to keep the skin in close approximation with the underlying structures so it will re-adhere quickly and not develop fluid underneath. Follow your surgeon's suggestions as to how long to wear it as there are many types of garments with different indications.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gentle elastic support for 3 days after a necklift or facelift

+1

I have worked with an elastic support garment maker to design a gentle elastic support garment to be used for the first three days after a facelift. The purpose of the support garment, is to minimize the edema and swelling in the lower jaw and neck immediately after the procedure. The garment also supports the skin of the neck against the newly tightened underlining muscles to help adhesion. My patients appreciate the gentle support the garment gives and often continue to wear it at bed time for the entire first week after facelift surgery. The garment does contain Lycra elastic fibers and is made from easily washed synthetics.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Dressings

+1

Head elevation and a short course of steroids take care of the swelling. I have my patients wear a light gauze dressing, no real compression, for 24-48 hours to keep any drops of blood off their clothes and pillows and no dressings after that.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Compression garments

+1

i never use a tight compression garment after face lift surgery. My dresssings are firm but nit tight for the first day and then quite comfortable after that. Your face is not being held in by the dressing and if it istoo tight a hematoma from an arterial bleed may result in skin necrosis

David A. Bray, Sr., MD