Sensitive Skin After Rhinoplasty?

Hello, 2 years after having an open rhinoplasty done, my nose (still) feels very sensitive: especially at the tip and at the opening of the nostrils where the skin was cut open. It suffices to barely brush a finger along my nose to make it feel like a swarm of ants running on it or someone stroking it with a feather, which is quite weird especially after so much time. What could be causing that? Thanks

Sensitive Skin After Rhinoplasty

+1

What you are describing is very unusual. Since it has been so long after your surgery, your recovery should be complete. I would suggest checking in with your plastic surgeon or visiting another doctor for a second opinion.

Sensitive skin after rhinoplasty

+1

During rhinoplasty, open or closed technique, the skin and sub-cutameous tissues are lifted off of the bone and cartilage. After surgery these tissues swell, and sometimes as they recover paresthesias may develop for unknown reasons. This may not have anything to do with the Surgeon , or the technique.

There are many reasons why this can happen, such as residual swelling, or temporary/permanent injury to the tiny nerves that give sensation to the skin. 

These may go away if there is residual swelling, or may not. If severe you may have to seek treatment from a neurologist.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

Dear coconut pete,

I would see your surgeon and show it to him

It may just be some scar tissue that is surrounding the nerves, but I cannot tell without looking at it

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD