Why Could I Sense Bright Red Lights During my Hair Removal, Even Though I Was Wearing Protective Metal Eyewear?

I had my upper lip and chin done.

Indirect light is seen during laser hair removal and other laser treatments

+2

Despite wearing metal eyeshields, there will be transmitted light that bounces off internal structures.  This is commonly noted by patients during facial V-beam for blood vessel / rosacea treatment, laser hair removal, and laser for lentigines / brown sun spots. The laser beam, is not directly entering your eye and injury does not occur from indirect light.  The physician using the laser should use all safety precautions when firing the laser including the application of protective eyewear for you.

Sensing some light is normal with Laser Procedures

+2

Protective laser eye shields are worn to prevent the direct entry of focused laser light into the eye-- especially on the cornea and retina, which could result in eye injury.  Indirect and transmitted light is normally sensed during most laser procedures.  This is normal, and not harmful.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon