Can Sensation Return After Facelift Without Any Pins & Needles Sensations Beforehand?

I've never had any pins and needles or other odd sensations after my facelift three months ago. However I believe the area of numbness around my cheeks and ears has gotten a bit smaller. Does this seem possible without first experiencing paresthesias? Thank you for your time.

Return of feeling after a face lift.

+1

Thank you for your question about your face lift healing.

• Yes, your feeling after a facelift can return without numbness and tingling.
  • Face lift numbness is from swelling that keeps nerve endings from contacting the skin.
  • If the nerve endings are healed, you will not have pins and needle feelings also called paresthesias.
  • So all is well. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Sensation Recovery after Facelift

+1

After 3 months following a facelift, sensation still has the ability to return.  Although pins and needles, burning, and the like may be indicators of regeneration, there are more subtle recoveries possible.

Are parathesias after facelift the norm?

+1

Some patients do have parathesias, odd sensations or pins and needles, and for others, the sensation returns gradually without any intervening, noticeable issues.  It sounds like  you are on the road to recovery!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

Yes, this is certainly possible. In some cases patients experience return of sensation or resolution of numbness without the intermediate pins and needles or other unusual sensations. It sounds like you're healing well. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sensation quietly returns in time after facelift

+1
Unlike your foot with the 'pins and needles' sensation, your skin sensation after facelift will return slowly and quietly over about a three month period of time. Few will notice much of anything.

You are lucky that your are not experiencing parasthesia

+1

Nerves can regenerate, and you can have return of sensation without having parasthesias.  I would consider yourself lucky that you have not experience parasthesias as they can be uncomfortable.   

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sensation to the face almost always returns in time and usually with out pins and needles senation

+1

It is a very interesting phenomena that after a face lift, breast lift, breast reconstruction, tummy tuck etc, the feeling almost alway returns over time with out pins and needles sensations. What is more fascinating is that when patients have face transplants the surgeons hook up the arteries, veins and motor nerves but do not hook up the sensation nerves and in time the feeling sensation returns. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Healing after facelift, lite lift, quick lift

+1

healing after facelift, lite lift,  quick lift

• this happens in different ways
  • there may be itching
  • crawling sensation
  • pins and needles
  • it varies by procedure and patient