Can Sensation Return After Facelift Without Any Pins & Needles Sensations Beforehand?

I've never had any pins and needles or other odd sensations after my facelift three months ago. However I believe the area of numbness around my cheeks and ears has gotten a bit smaller. Does this seem possible without first experiencing paresthesias? Thank you for your time.

No tingling

It is possible not to feel any tingling or burning as your nerves regenerate, and it sounds like this is what you're experiencing. 

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Return of feeling after a face lift.

Thank you for your question about your face lift healing.

• Yes, your feeling after a facelift can return without numbness and tingling.
  • Face lift numbness is from swelling that keeps nerve endings from contacting the skin.
  • If the nerve endings are healed, you will not have pins and needle feelings also called paresthesias.
  • So all is well. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

2045 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30309

Sensation Recovery after Facelift

After 3 months following a facelift, sensation still has the ability to return.  Although pins and needles, burning, and the like may be indicators of regeneration, there are more subtle recoveries possible.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Are parathesias after facelift the norm?

Some patients do have parathesias, odd sensations or pins and needles, and for others, the sensation returns gradually without any intervening, noticeable issues.  It sounds like  you are on the road to recovery!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Yes, this is certainly possible. In some cases patients experience return of sensation or resolution of numbness without the intermediate pins and needles or other unusual sensations. It sounds like you're healing well. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124

Sensation quietly returns in time after facelift

Unlike your foot with the 'pins and needles' sensation, your skin sensation after facelift will return slowly and quietly over about a three month period of time. Few will notice much of anything.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

You are lucky that your are not experiencing parasthesia

Nerves can regenerate, and you can have return of sensation without having parasthesias.  I would consider yourself lucky that you have not experience parasthesias as they can be uncomfortable.   

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

6849 Fairview Road
Charlotte, NC 28210

Sensation to the face almost always returns in time and usually with out pins and needles senation

It is a very interesting phenomena that after a face lift, breast lift, breast reconstruction, tummy tuck etc, the feeling almost alway returns over time with out pins and needles sensations. What is more fascinating is that when patients have face transplants the surgeons hook up the arteries, veins and motor nerves but do not hook up the sensation nerves and in time the feeling sensation returns. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

1040 W International Speedway Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Healing after facelift, lite lift, quick lift

healing after facelift, lite lift,  quick lift

• this happens in different ways
  • there may be itching
  • crawling sensation
  • pins and needles
  • it varies by procedure and patient

3991 MacArthur Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92660