Why Do I Still Have No Sensation and Persistent Swelling 2 Weeks Post Chin Implant Surgery?

I got a chin augumentation and an implant placed on the left lower jaw 2wks ago. The swelling is still high and there is no sensation in a part of my lower lip. Doctor says swelling is due to fluid accumulation and prescribed chymoral forte. I also feel sharp tingling feelings in the numb lip. I'm getting married soon. How long will it take for me to get normal?

+2

The sharp tingling feelings in the numb part of your lip probably represents the nerve healing or returning to normal.  The swelling is not unusual either following chin implant and there may be asymmetry associated with these things.  Follow closely with your surgeon to give you more precise answers.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Numbness and swelling after chin implant

+2

It is not unusual to have some numbness and swelling at two weeks after placement of a chin implant.  And sometimes, this will only occur on one side or be worse on one side than the other.  It sometimes can take months for all of the swelling and numbness to resolve completely.  Both issues should improve with more time, but it's impossible to tell you exactly when it will be back to normal.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why do I still have no sensation and persistent swelling 2 weeks after chin implant surgery?d

+1

It is not abnormal to still have swelling and numbness 2 weeks after a chin implant. This will improve over time. I would recommend following the advice of your surgeon, as they know the extent of your procedure and will be able to provide you with advice on when you should expect to be recovered. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD