No Sense of Touch on One Piece of Nose 8 Days After Revision. Should I Be Worried?

I had many revisions with nose grafs (cartilage), so I'm worried...

Numbness and swelling post revision rhinoplasty

+2

Dear revision rhinoplasty patient from Bulgaria,
What you’re experiencing is normal. Numbness and swelling is very common post revision rhinoplasty. It can take up to one year before full sensation returns. Good luck and good healing

Decreased sensation temporarily after rhinoplasty is normal

+2

Having area of nasal skin that has decreased sensation is normal after rhinoplasty. Areas of skin must be elevated with the procedure and the fine nerve endings may be cut during this process. The nerves will grow back, however. I tell my patients having an open rhinoplasty to expect it to take about 8 months to fully come back. If using the closed approach the numbness is often more limited in scope and may return a bit faster.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty

+2

"No Sense of Touch on One Piece of Nose 8 Days After Revision. Should I Be Worried?"

No, I would not necessarily worry 8 days after surgery. Give it a full year to reassess....ask your surgeon when you are able to "massage" the tip or the area of concern as massage stimulates the cutaneous nerves to "wake-up".

Good Luck!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD

Numbness after Rhinoplasty

+2

NO! Temporary, localized numbness after rhinoplasty may occur. Be patient.

Numbness of skin is common after any surgery, but usually temporary

+2

Patients often have areas with decreased, altered, or absent sensibility after surgery.  This is usually temporary, however it may take weeks or much longer to recover.  In the rare cases when it is permanent, is usually winds up being a smaller area than right after surgery and often doesn't bother the patient too much, unless it is a specific area such as the nipple/areola.  For you to have some numbness of your nasal skin 8 days after rhinoplasty is common, and given your history of revision surgeries, is virtually expected.  Be patient.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Numbness After Rhinoplasty

+2

Numbness after rhinoplasty is quite common.  Surgery, and especially revision surgery, causes some disruption of the sensory nerves to the skin.  I would not be concerned if the only thing that bothers you is an area of numbness.  Numbness may last a few days, several months, or even be permanent, but will not effect the final appearance.  Your doctor can give specific advice after evaluating you during your follow-up visits.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1

it is very common for the nose to be numb after rhinoplasty - typically sensation returns to (almost) normal within a year

Sam Naficy, MD

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1

It is completely normal to have numbness of the tip of the nose after surgery.  The degree of numbness and the and the duration relate to the extent of the undermining of the skin during the surgery which in turn is related to what needed to be done.  It will take 6-12 months for the feeling to return to normal.  Patience!

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD