What Do You Know About The Semielastic Scarless Serdev Suture Breast Lift?

I have been considering a breast lift, but am concerned about scarring and loss of sensation in the nipple. Today I found a procedure called the "Semielastic Scarless Serdev Suture Breast Lift". It appears that Dr. Serdev uses sutures to raise and secure the breast. I can't find any doctors who do this in the US. Couple of questions: 1. Does this really work, and is it practiced in the US? 2. How long do the results last? 3. Is the cost on par with traditional breast lift methods??

How to lift a breast

+4

In order to achieve a breast lift, the material used must be strong enough to oppose the force of gravity.  A 34 B breast weighs approximately 1 lb.  Sutures by themselves do not have the strength to hold that amount of weight.  Breast lifts are based on using the skin envelope or internal suspension to create the force necessary to oppose gravity.  These techniques require incisions around the areola or incisions around the areola and in the inframammary folds.  Vertical incisions are impossible to hide and are not recommended.  There is a new technique "The Ultimate Lift" that transfers the weight to the underlying muscle.  Many patients are looking for the ideal procedure without scars but this does not exist at this time.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

"Dr. Wonderful's" Scarless, Lunchtime Platinum Suture Breast Lift"

+2

My God, WHERE do I start??

Let's address the issue of NEW and EFFECTIVE. There are very few professional athletes as competitive and imaginative as most of my Plastic surgery colleagues. We got to our positions by being the brightest and most competitive in our medical school clases and most individualistic. BY nature we are constantly trying to come up with new solutions to problems and fiercely compete with each other to come up with new and better outcomes. So - it is truly rare for a totally new and effective solution to remain unused. if this "solution" was great most of us would be doing it within 6 months. 

You need to consider the history of Breast Sagging. Breast Lifting has changed over the years. To lift the sagging breast up on the best and relocate the nipple complex onto the center of the lifted breast mound the older techniques removed the skin below the nipple complex and by so doing propelled the breast higher on the chest. The problem with such "SKIN TAILORING" procedures was that the skin gradually gives and stretches leading to relapse and the scar involved was an inverted T or sea anchor shaped scar. Short Scar Breast Lift procedures emerged in which the sagging breast gland was partially cut and turned in under the rest of the breast, acting as an auto-breast implant. The excess skin is then tailored as needed resulting in a lollipop shaped scar. These procedures result in a MUCH longer lasting perky and full result. Not to be outdone a Brazilian surgeon Dr. Sampaio Goes came up with a breast lift procedure involving peeling the skin off the breast through a scar around the nipple complex, wrapping the breast with a man-made plastic mesh (not available in the US), much like tea is held in tea bags, and the bagged breast is then lifted and secured to a few higher ribs to prevent sagging. Attempts to reproduce this lift with meshes available in the US had mixed results and concerns were raised about the visibility of the breasts to cancer detection examination and tests resulting in its never being popular. Various attempts at using BARBED SUTURES and SLINGS then followed. The uniform problem was that such techniques do NOT remove the excess, sagging breast lower pole skin AND these sutures ALWAYS fail by either breaking, slipping or cutting through the tissues reluting in relapse. 

Since every woman over the age of 30 (over 100 million in the US) will exhibit some form of breast sagging, even if 10% of them (over 10 million) desired their breasts lifted, that would present each board certified Plastic surgeon with 180,000 or so women asking for the procedure. Such numbers are hard to ignore. As a result, the ethically weak, immoral, flim flammers in our society and the much more numerous fake Plastic surgeons (doctors "practicing" Plastic Surgery without completing Plastic Surgery training and being certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery, check wwwABMSorg) are making millions off women who choose to ignore their own common sense and believe the shameless irresponsible marketing lies put out by such BS artists.

If I could make cellulite vanish with a few applications of my expensive "cellulite go away" cream? WHY would I not share it with Memphis, where i practice, and the rest of the world?

If I could do a drive through scarless Facelift and get the results I currently get from my formal short scar Facelifts, do you really think I would not switch to it in a second?

If ALL it took to lift a sagging breast was a scarless magic platinum, gold, or whatever stitch expertly woven through the breast do you REALLY think I would still prefer a formal operation with longer recovery andpermanent scars?

For your own safety, STAY AWAY from such ads and such doctors. You will lose your hard earned money but you could also be permanently hurt by going to them.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Patients get Hurt or Robbed when they too easily Believe Unethical Claims

+1

Hi there-

I wish it weren't the case, but the unfortunate fact is that there are many people offering cosmetic surgery procedures (even some with legitimate plastic surgery training) who too easily resort to ridiculous gimmicks and cute names (the quick-lift, lunchtime lipo, naturalfill, etc) to attract patients and part them from their money.

Why do patients fall for these ridiculous gimmicks? Because you, like many other women out there, really want to believe that things that sound too good to be true can be achieved. The media attention to plastic surgery would make you believe that we are making "revolutionary" advancements on nearly a weekly basis, but common sense would tell you that a weekly revolution is not possible.

This media attention, and patients' desire to have something for nothing (a breast lift without scars or surgery), combined with the increasingly unethical and immoral behavior exhibited by some surgeons who are all too willing to say or do whatever it takes to attract more patients and take their money, creates a dangerous situation...

Please, please, please be careful. If I told you that I could sell you a "magic wrinkle-erasing mirror" for $2000 and that all you had to do is stare at yourself in the mirror for 30 minutes each day and after 6 months all of your wrinkles would be gone, would you send me your money? I hope not. I hope that you would laugh and dismiss me as the snake oil salesman that I would be if I did that... But the scary thing is that someone out there would send me money and believe it was true. Only after 6 months would they figure out that what I sold them didn't work and their money was long gone.

If I still haven't convinced you, you should know that here in my hometown of Orlando some years ago, an ER doctor calling himself a "cosmetic surgeon" actually had his medical license taken away after performing a procedure very similar to the one you are seeking on a patient- leaving her with chronic and debilitating pain, as well as ridiculous looking breasts.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Scarless suture breast lift

+1

There do not seem to be any US surgeons using elastic suspension sutures to lift the breast. Thread lifts have been tried on many parts of the body, notably the face, however the results have been very short lasting and largely given up. We will bet that the suture breast lift is also too good to be true.

Best of luck, peterejohnsomd.com

It is more marketing than science

+1

Breast sagging involves skin, breast tissue and breast attachments to the chest wall. Using treads that have failed in the face lift and other body parts will not work. Patients that have sagging do not like what their board certified surgeons recommend and look for scar-less alternatives. If there were a technique to avoid cutting on the breast,we would have been offering it to our patients. Board certified plastic surgeons always looking for the innovations to provide the latest safe and effective techniques to our patients.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Too good to be true

+1

Never, ever, be the first one on your block to try something new.   If a procedure is good today, it  will be good tomorrow and year after year.  Stick to a trusted plastic surgeon who has experience with time honored surgical procedures to give your a satisfactory result.  Too good to be true, probably is.....  

Dr. Serdev is not a plastic surgeon. His "technique" isn't just for breasts!

+1

Bulgarian "cosmetic surgeon" Dr. Serdev is performing what amounts to "thread lifting" of not only breasts, but faces, chins, buttocks, thighs, foreheads, etc. Virtually any part of the human body that sags can be "lifted" with these elastic suture puncture-only lifts. There is a reason these so-called "lifts" are performed and "taught" predominantly by "cosmetic surgeons," not real plastic surgeons. These are the Dermatologists, General Surgeons, OB/GYN doctors, and physicians of other specialties that have little or no training in plastic surgery, and often very little true surgical training of any kind!

Innovation? Hardly!

New? No way!

Does it really work? Depends on what you mean. It certainly does make money for the practitioners, and usually does not harm patients, except in their wallets!  

Results? Minimal to NONE! (especially if you do it on someone who didn't need it in the first place)

Cost? How much are YOU willing to pay for the Emperor's clothes?

There is a reason that properly-trained (6-7 years of surgical and plastic surgical training AFTER medical school) and American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeons do not perform this technique and instead utilize "traditional" techniques. They aren't "traditional" at all; they are ethical, appropriate, and represent state-of-the-art procedures that really work and provide results that last. And yes, scars are needed, and there is a percentage of patients that will have nipple numbness. Everybody wants "something" for "no risk," no scars, and of course, "low cost."

Barnum and Bailey had it right when they provided sideshows that exhibited bearded ladies, "real, live memaids," and other such spectacles to take money from a gullible public. There really is a sucker (actually lots of them) in every crowd! Don't fall for this brand of snake oil! See ABPS-certified plastic surgeons and get the real deal. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Too good to be true breast lift?

+1

I agree with the answers posted by Drs. Zweibel and Grenley.  Ask the surgeon doing this scarless breast lift if the procedure has been published in any peer-reviewed medical journals (I doubt it).  I know of one study currently being carried out by two very accomplished plastic surgeons in this country using barbed suture to perform breast lifts, but they are not yet ready to say that it works, much less publish their results.  Unfortunately now more than ever, the old adage "buyer beware" applies to plastic surgery. I applaud you for trying to check this out first.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Never heard of it.

+1

I am not familiar with this procedure.  Since other doctors have also never heard of it, I would

be very concerned to recommend this to any patient without more information.  I watched the video of

this procedure.  It looks like it will turn the nipple too far upward.  The suture will pull the the tissues

loosing the lifting effect.  I wouldn't do it unless it has been tried and tested over a period of time

by well know US surgeons.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

"Designer Procedures" are Deceptive Marketing

+1

The flood of "Designer Procedures" self-named by self-promoting surgeons to create a misleading aura of uniqueness, exclusivity, differentiation and innovation is very rarely more than deceptive marketing hype. Unfortunately, the list of such cleverly named procedures is getting longer every day.

It is understandable that this unfortunate and disingenuous advertising leads to confusion for people seeking reliable information on the internet.

• Many of these "Designer Procedures" are actually well established procedures used by many of us and most often not developed by the person who has just attached a clever name to it.
    • Be very skeptical of any procedure that has the surgeon's name attached to it and is advertised only by that surgeon.
    • A good surgeon stands out on the basis of his/her reputation; not a catchy procedure name.
  • Many of these "Designer Procedures" may be more hype than substance: many of us don't use them, because they don't work particularly well, or may not be suitable for a particular patient.
  • Be cautious, skeptical and trust your instincts; do more research and question the validity of such procedures with second opinion(s) from Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons. 
    • If the procedure has merit, most of us will be familiar with it and many of us will have adopted it. 
    • At the very least, we can help determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon