Juvederm and Restylane - Semi-permanent?

Why have web-sites in USA and UK begun to call restylane and juvederm semi-permanent? I thougt it was NOT permanent?

Restylane & Juvederm Semi-Permanent?

+1

Hi Simba.  An appropriate and related question is which websites are listing these products as semi-permanent.  

Both products are made with a naturally occurring bodily compound - hyaluronic acid.  The synthetic hyaluronic acid in Restylane and Juvederm is not semi-permanent and in fact usually lasts between 4-9 months.  

Better to stay on realself and avoid the websites are providing misleading information.

Restylane and Juvederm

+1

Restylane and Juvederm are not semi-permanent filler.  They last anywhere from 6-12 months on average, some patient will have longer lasting effects.  The information you found was false or misleading.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist

Hylauronic Acid Fillers are Temporary

+1

Hylauronic Acid Fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane are temporary-- they last on average 4-8 months depending on the location of injection.  Around the mouth, the average is 3-6 months.  Around the eyes, the average is 9-12 months.  With repeated treatments, studies have shown the filler and the injection technique may stimulate collagen over time.  This results in longer lasting effects, sometimes up to one year.  Despite longer lasting effects, I would not label these fillers as semi-permanent.  

Let me also say that, while "permanent" fillers sound attractive (who wouldn't want to pay for injection once and never again!), there are potent risks with more "permanent" fillers.  By their permanent nature, these fillers tend to remain in the skin for a long time.  Thus, there is a higher risk for infection and granuloma formation (big lumps under the skin) if done incorrectly.  These are very difficult to remove, unlike hyaluronic acids which can be dissolved with an injection.  These fillers are not ideal for correcting the lips (they tend to form lumps).  But they are terrific for full face volumization if done by a qualified physician.

So the bottomline is, there are pros and cons to every fillers.  Be sure to find yourself a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is experienced in this!

Best of Luck!

-Dr. Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Restylane last a year or more.

+1

Depending on your definition of semi-permanent you might call Juvederm and Restylane semi-permanent.  The first fillers lasted only weeks so by comparison these last a very long time.  The bottom line is that these products stick around for a year or so.  

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and restylane are not semipermanent

+1

"juvederm and Restylane, are not semipermanent fillers. Although some of your own collagen is produced during these treatments, and some patients do maintain more than a year of correction, the amount of correction dwindles over the months. These fillers last about 10 to 12 months or more, but they are not similar to silicone or artefill. don't be confused by the hype,  you will need to return in about a year for more treatment with Juvederm or Restylane to balance their results.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm and Restylane are not semi-permanent

+1

Juvederm and Restylane are hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers.  They last from 4 up to 12 months.  The information you are reading on these websites is incorrect.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Restylane are temporary dermal fillers

+1

Juvederm and Restylane are hyaluronic acid dermal fillers that can last up to one year, depending on the amount and location of injection.

Some evidence exists that when the same area is injected repeatedly, there is collagen stimulation that occurs which prolongs the duration of the hyaluronic acid filler. This by no means changes the temporary nature of Juvederm, Restylane and similar hyaluronic acid fillers

Anifat Balogun, MD

Juvederm and restylane

+1

Juvederm and Restylane are hyaluronic acids that are not permanent. Depending upon the product used they last from 6 months to a year.

Juvederm and Restylane - Semi-permanent

+1

NO! Restylane range of filling effect in my hands is from 3 to 6 months. Juvederm is from 4 to 8 months. So this is NOT semi permanent by any definition. For longer lasting fillers try Radiesse,, Perlane, Fat, Aretfill, Selphyl. 

Hyaluronic Acid Filler (Juvederm and Restylane) Duration

+1
Hyaluronic Acid fillers like Juverderm, Restylane and Perlane are NOT permanent fillers. Their durations very from 8 to 12 months (depending on the volume and location of placement). As to WHY some sites refer to them as "semi-permanent", I would ascribe that to salesmanship, hype and anything to get you to buy the product. Not exactly ethical conduct in my opinion. Dr. Peter Aldea