What is Selphyl?

I've only just heard of it a few days ago and it sounds great, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere on RealSelf....that makes me wonder. Is it safe and effective? Thanks for any input.

Selphyl

+2

Selphyl was introduced in 2009 . This involves taking a small sample of blood from the patient mixing it in a test tube to separate blood components, which takes about 20 minutes and then injecting some of the components into the area to be filled. Your body then makes collagen to fill the depression or fold. The process takes about 3 weeks from the date of injection to become visible. The advantage is no foreign material or animal derived chemicals are injected. It is supposed to last 12 or more months. I have not had much experience with this nor have my associates. For the hastle of drawing blood and only getting 12 months of results it does not seem to have much advantage over restylane which gives you immediate results vs. having to wait for 3 weeks.

Selphyl

+1
Selphyl is a trademarked system for the preparation of platelet-rich plasma which is drawn from the patient's own blood which is mixed in a centrifuge for about six minutes, The plasma matrix is then injected under the skin with the purpose of stimulating collagen production. Since no foreign substances are involved, there is no risk of allergic reaction. Selphyl should have an effect lasting 12-15 months. The advantage is that Selphyl has a different operating principle. Fillers are like filling in cracked linoleum whereas Selphyl is working autologously to rebuild the foundation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Selphyl is a Natural Filler for Wrinkles and Fine Lines

+1

Selphyl is a product based on taking a blood sample and creating something called “Platelet Rich Fibrin Matrix”. The concept is that your blood has platelets and growth factor that stimulate your own collagen the way the skin is repaired when you get a cut. In my practice, I’ve been using it to improve lines, wrinkles and acne scars on the forehead, around the eyes, mouth and nose -- for the treatment of frown lines, crows feet, nasolabial folds, marionette lines and acne scars. In effect, it’s “healing” a deficit by concentrating the collagen stimulating factors in a specific area. Many people are enthusiastic since it’s their own blood therefore a true “natural” filler. It’s important to understand that there is usually a need for more than one treatment. Unlike fillers such as Restylane, the results are not seen immediately but occur over several weeks. In my practice, we use Selphyl for hand rejuvenation as well.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon