Seeking Surgeon to Remove Liquid Silicone

I am looking for a doctor to remove Liquid Silicone from my butt. I had it injected 3 years ago and have had many complications. I do not have a lot but I have enough to give me problems. I get reoccurring swelling and it constantly hurts. It swells up, I get a steroid shot and it goes down, but it still hurts…it always hurts and aches. I know there will be scarring and in dentations once it’s removed. I am looking for a doctor who has experience removing liquid silicone.

Silicone removal from lips

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Removal of silicone injections from the body, particularly silicone of the lips

+1

Liquid silicone can be removed, depending on the severity of the condition and the amount of surrounding tissue inflammation and fibrosis.  Surgical techniques have been shown to improve quality of life and improve symptomatic discomfort. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Silicone injections to buttocks

+1

It is difficult and nearly implossible to remove all the silicone. It can be aspirated to provide some relief but this will not achieve complete removal

Removal of Silicone Injected into the Buttocks

+1
Your situation is sad and unfortunately all too common. Despite everything you read out there and despite over 60 years of experience with Silicone as a filler people still insist on injecting it and getting injected with it. Once injected silicone cannot be completely removed. Lumps of silicone caused scar can be removed but result in ugly scars and depressions. Since the silicone was injected in multiple areas and subsequently migrated into multiple areas complete removal and a pleasing cosmetic result are very hard to obtain. Dr. Aldea