Seeking Breast Augmentation, Is a Lift Necessary? (photo)

I am 31 years old, and have had two pregnancies, I am 5' 2" weight 126lb and a 34C. I am looking into getting a breast augmentation to become a full D; However due to the years and two pregnancies, I feel my breasts have sagged. I measured 24-25 in. distance between my sternal notch and nipples. I really want the fullness, but want to avoid the vertical scar. Is the sagging of my breasts considerable that I definitely need the breast lift surgery or will the implants alone solve the issue?

Breast Lift Needed?

+2

Breast implants by themselves will probably not make you happy.  Physical examination and the further exploration of your goals will let you know if a breast lift is required. However, you should go in with an open mind and realization that a lift may be the best recommendation.

Breast Augmentation vs Breast Lift (Mastopexy)

+2

Breast augmentation is to increase breast volume whereas, breast lift elevates the nipple and areola, repositions breast tissue and removes excess breast skin.  The procedures are completely distinct and separate.  An evaluation by your doctor will determine the approriate treatment. 

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Seeking Breast Augmentation, Is a Lift Necessary?

+2

You will need a lift....An inexperienced doctor will try and tell you that you'll do fine with just implants but in 6 months you will be back in their office very upset....I have seen it a million times!!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Internal (scarless) breast lift together with implants will give you the look you want.

+2

Hi.

You definitely do not need a lollipop scar breast lift, even though your left breast is slightly saggier. If you don't like the large areolas, that can be corrected with a circular scar around the nipples.  But you do not need scars just for breast shape.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast lift and implants

+2

If you want to achieve that volume, then you will need an implant.  A lift may be modified in the sense that a circumareola lift may be all that is needed.

Do I need a lift with my breast augmentation?

+2

I always tell my patients that one sees shape before scar.    In your case, it appears that a lift with your augmentation would give you a better shape.  The trade off here could be a doughnut scar around the areola or a lollipop scar.

Scott Chapin, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with a lift

+2

From the photos it looks like you would need a lift with augmentation. If you wanted to avoid the vertical scar you may be able to get away with a circumareolar lift ( donut lift ) where the scar is only around the areola. An in person consultation would be necessary to see which lift would be best for you.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast lift in addition to implants will give the best aesthetic results but with surgical scars

+2

To obtain the best aesthetic results implants to give the upper pole fullness will be needed as well as a breast lift(mastopexy) to creat better symmetry and lift the nipple areolar complex to a more aesthetic looking position. Try to minimize the type of lift needed may reduce the scaring but will compromise the results of the surgery. It is a give and take type of situation and you need to make the choice that will make you most happy.

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Need augment with pexy

+2
Your photos show sagging and some tuberosity. With implants alone, the upper poles would be fuller but you would continue to sag and I do not think the result will be aesthetically pleasing--less satisfactory than the tradeoff in a mastopexy in terms if scarring. An exam would be necessary to determine if you would be a candidate for periarolae mastopexy, which would avoid the vertical scar.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+2

You never want to do more surgery than you need, but if you need a lift to get the best results, there are no shortcuts. As with many ladies who have babies, you will need a lift to get good results.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD