I Am Seeking Breast Augmentation Am I a Candidate for over or Under the Muscle?

I am woundering if I am a candidate for implants over or under the muscle. I don't really have any preferences, just wanted to know if I have enough breast tissue to cover maybe approx 350 to 400 cc silicone gel implant. I workout everyday at the gym with weights, I am not a "heavy bodybuilder" but fit. Is it safe to travel on a plane for 3 to 4 hours after 6 days of surgery? I am shopping for the best doctor-even if I have to travel a little.

Over/Under Muscle: Breast Augmentation

+1

Thanks for the photos.  These days most patients have their implants placed in a sub-pectoral position (under the muscle).  Going under the muscle, decreases the risks of capsular contracture, are better for mammograms and give a softer more natural look.  As for flying, I would recommend waiting at least one week but you should make sure you discuss your plans with your surgeon.

Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation, over versus under the muscle

+1

Here in the US, more plastic surgeons place implants partially below the pectorals major muscle than above it. But above the muscle can work quite well too. It depends on so many factors. In my experience, implants placed above the muscle tend to result in breasts that look a bit lower over time than when implants are placed below the muscle. That's not true in every case, but just a general observation. I personally think that pain and healing in general are about the same no matter if the implants are above or below the muscle. The primary determining factor is the technique the surgeon uses and how the tissues are handled and manipulated during surgery. We have done breast augmentation on patients from California, New York, and even Canada, so I don't find that travel is too much of an issue. There are some restrictions, of course, and travel could become a hassle if problems arise. If you plan to travel make sure you discuss this with your surgeon long before your surgery.

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Muscle Coverage

+1

Submuscluar placement of breast implants has many advantages.  There is better coverage of implants reducing palpable and visual implant rippling.  Capsular contracture ( hardening) is reduced.  In addition, there is advantages when undergoing mammograms.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Implants over or under muscle

+1

I generally place implants sub-pectoral- partially under the chest muscle.  Implants usually look more natural in this position.  Additional benefits are that the rate of capsular contracture is lower and mammograms are easier to do when implants are under the muscle.

Abington Plastic Surgeon

Under vs over

+1

Hi,

thanks for the post and the pics. Generally, here in the US, most are done UNDER the muscle. The under approach is more painful, more expensive, and generally takes longer to heal. So why do it? because in the long run, the results are generally more natural looking and have lower complication rates.

Overseas in Europe and South america, it is generally more common to see these done OVER the muscle. 

Generally, I don't advise flying for at least a week after surgery. No sports for about a month afterwards. 

You should look locally first before flying for surgery. Good follow up care is just as important as the day of surgery for achieving a good outcome. In case there are any complications, which are rare, you want to be able to drive to your doctors office, and not have to fly there. 

Best to you. 

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Placement

+1

You have enough breast tissue to cover a 350 to 400cc silicone implant. With silicone gel implants and a healthy upper breast (as determined by calipers during your examination), I usually recommend placement above the muscle. With sufficient tissue and the viscous quality of the silicone, there is minimal risk of rippling and significantly less pain when implants are placed above the muscle. Furthermore, the implants do not "twitch" during exercise as they do when placed under the muscle.

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

You look like a good candidate for breast augmentation. It looks like from the profile that you have some gland/skin ptosis.  The implant volume you selected may be appropriate for you, but an exam is key.  A circumareola procedure may improve the laxity of the skin below as well.  Good luck.

Breast implants over or under the muscle?!?!

+1

Dear French Lady, 

Merci pour la question et la photo, 

It appears you are a candidate for both over or under the muscle. As listed here by other surgeons there are pros and cons to each. 

I recommend going over the muscle when someone is active and has enough breast tissue to cover the implant because the breasts are naturally above the muscle. Another reason being that the continued muscle contraction pushes the implants down and out to the side with time, which may result in bottoming out, since the muscle does not extend to support the lower part of the breast.

Rippling can be minimized with textured cohesive gel silicone implants because they are form stable.

Traveling one week after surgery should be fine.

Best of luck...

Web reference: http://www.drkhuthaila.com

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Thank you for the question. Generally, I advise patients on implants behind the muscle. If you choose a gel implant it makes sense to place this above the muscle as your breasts are long. Discuss these options with your surgeon Thomas Narsete, M.D. Austin, Tx

Implant placement

+1

Dear French Lady.  For most of my patients that like to exercise like you do, I typically recommend the implants be placed over the muscle in the subfascial (not subglandular) plane.  Because you are thin, the textured silicone anatomic-shaped "gummy bear" implants would look the best on you with the least chance of seeing visible rippling.  They would also give a slight lift to your breasts.  Hope this helps!

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon