When to Seek a Oculoplastic Surgeon As Opposed to a Facial Surgeon?

I have had two different surgeries on my lower eyes. Neither worked. Where should I go fo the best eye surgery?

Revision Eyelid Surgery

+2

Depending on the problem (s), you may benefit from having your revision done by an occuloplastic surgeon.  This depends on the nature and complexity of the problem.  If it is a simple matter of aesthetic dissatisfaction, any facial plastic or plastic surgeon, with a strong background and experience in eyelid surgery would likely be able to help you meet your goals. However, on the other hand, if the problem is functional, you would be best treated by an occuloplastic surgeon who specializes in the particular problem.  Good luck. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Seek oculoplastic surgeon for complex cases

+1
Reconstructive eyelid surgery, especially when it’s the second or third procedure, is better served by seeing an oculoplastic surgeon. Many facial plastic surgeons perform standard lower blepharoplasty procedures but are not usually as well adept at complicated lower eyelid procedures as an oculoplastic surgeon is.  

Where to go?

+1

That's always the million dollar question.there are no simple answers.I guess i would look for years of experience,board certification and also certified but which board and also maybe he or she could give you names of some patients to talk to.also asking around from your primary care doctor may also shed some light.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+1

The title is not everything. Some facial or general plastic surgeons are very good at doing eyelids. It is important to find out if your surgeon has the training and experience in doing this surgery. Look at his/her pre and postop pictures and find out how he/she is going to fix the problem you have. It is important that he/she understands exactly what your concern is.

Norman Ge, MD

Revision eyelid surgery

+1

Oculoplastic surgeons are ophthalmologist who have had extensive training/experiene in eyelid anatomy and surgery.   Performing surgery on previously operated eyelids is especially challenging and I recommend consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr T.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid revision

+1

mommydearest2,

This is a complex question, as you already know. There is much overlap in the procedures performed by plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and oculoplastic surgeons.  The first step I would pursue is to return to the surgeon who performed your most recent surgery.  You may not desire a further procedure performed by this physician, but it is always better to have more information and opinions than less.  Living in Los Angeles, there are a plethora of specialists you may visit for no cost.  I personally would seek the opinions of several plastic surgeons as well as oculoplastic surgeons.  It may help to review their before and after pictures and speak to some of their former patients.  Take your time in seeking a revision.  You have had 2 procedures that have failed to meet your expectations and would certainly like to avoid a third.  Personal referral is the best.  It may also help to speak with your primary or other physician to get a referral. 

Jason R. Hess, MD

Oculoplastics vs Facial Plastics

+1

In general the more complex your eyelid issues are, the more you should consider an oculoplastic surgeon (also known as ophthalmic plastic surgeon). After two failed surgeries, I would recommend an oculoplastic surgeon. Having said that, some things cannot be undone and you may have to settle for improvement, not perfection.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Revision Lower Eyelid Surgery

+1

I would agree with the previous surgeon's statement that an oculoplastic surgeon might be your best choice for a third surgery on your lower eyelids. Compared with other specialty plastic surgeons, oculoplastic surgeons do have more in depth expertise in this particular anatomy and surgery. This might make a significant difference in attempting to salvage your results with further revision surgery. Best of luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Generally oculoplastic surgeons have deeper training in eyelid surgery.

+1

Having said that, please don't confuse credentials with results.  This is where it is extraordinarily challenging to find the right doctor.  This is especially true when it comes to redo surgery.  Fixing an unsatisfactory eyelid surgery is highly specialized.  Only about a dozen surgeons in the world devote a significant portion of their practice to revising prior unsatisfactory eyelid surgery.  The work requires very specialized techniques and extensive experience.  Los Angeles has a number of these surgeons including myself.  As always, it is in your best interests to obtain several opinions before deciding on a particular surgeon.