Should I Seek Further Expertise for Stitches my 13 Month Old Received After a Fall?

My 13 month old fell tonight and hit her forehead on a corner at a restaurant. We went to the emergency room and they gave her 3 stitches. I am kicking myself now for not seeing a plastic surgeon but we live in a more rural area and St. Louis is the closest city which is 2.5 hours away. Should I consult with a plastic surgeon Monday? We will do whatever to keep it from scarring. Thank you for your time. Dan

Plastic Surgeon for Laceration

+1

At this point I would recommend you allow the wound to heal for the next couple of months with appropriate wound care and avoidance of sun exposure and then make an appointment with a Facial Plastic surgeon if the healed laceration does not appear cosmetically acceptable.  If the wound needs to be revised I often will wait 12-18 months in children as young as yours to allow for adequate remodeling of the scar. 
Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of a cut in children

+1

Laceration treatment in an emergency setting should be managed thereafter by a skilled plastic surgeon to optimize long term results.  

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS