Seeing Sutures in my Eyelid Clear One and Blue One, Can I Remove Them?

I recently was in a car accident and my eyelid was torn, the plastic surgeon sewed my eyelid back on, that was around the 3rd of march, i had clear sutures that they said would dissolve and a 2-3 inch continuous blue one that was removed around 10 days later. Lately ive noticed a piece of the blue stitch in my eyelid and a clear one about 10 mintues ago. The surgeons nurse told me to come back and get them removed if i see the blue ones, can i remove them myself? Can i remove the clear too?

Follow your doctors advice

+1

It seems pretty straightforward and probably is, but its best to follow your doctors advice. He will use sterile instruments which you don't have and although risk of infection is low, its still a possiblity.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Suture removal after eyelid trauma

+1

Various types of sutures are used in eyelid repair, both absorbable and non-absorbable.  Sounds like they already removed the non-absorbable running stitch.  The others may be a longer term suture material that is intended to slowly dissolve because it is holding together part of the repair that is under tension.  Removing this prematurely could cause the wound to open or result in a wider scar.  It is best to have the surgeon who placed the sutures remove them.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

IMHO, it's not a good idea unless you have tyhe consent of your Eyelid Surgeon.  Contact him/her for further advice.

Removal of Sutures in your Eyelid

+1

I would not recommend that you remove the sutures you mentioned noticing yourself. I agree with the recommendation the surgeon's nurse made. Go back and have the surgeon re-examine your eyelid and remove the sutures that need removing.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Suture removal

+1

it is probably a good idea for you to see your doctor to remove them. While it may be relatively straight forward, you do not want to have a problem.

Removing your own sutures

+1

If you were in a situation where you were far from medical care then it may be appropriate for you to remove the sutures yourself.  However, if medical care is close, why take a chance?  Have the surgeon's nurse remove them.

Donald M. Brown, MD

Do not remove your own suture.

+1

Call the plastic surgeon who repaired the eyelid and arrange for the surgeon to remove the sutures.  If you are not sure who did the repair, call the emergency room where you were seen.  They should be able to determine who placed the sutures.

Visible stiches

+1

If your doctor advised you to return so that he could remove the stitches, I would recommend you follow your doctors advice.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Seeing sutures in the eyelid

+1

Yes.  If they will come out easily and you can them well enough to grasp it with tweezers, then there will be no harm done.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon