I Can See White Threads After Areola Reduction and Breast Augmentation. Should I Go See the Dr?

Hi. I did a breast augmentation and areola reduction 2 weeks ago. Scars are healing quiet well but I can see few white color treads coming out from under the scar. I tried to pull it gently but it's not coming out. Should I leave it or better see a doctor? Thank you.

My Periareolar Stitches Are Spitting

+1

The white sutures that you see coming out around your areolar more than like are subcuticular stitches that were supposed to dissolve, but unfortunately they came to the surface and need to be removed.  This happens to all plastic surgeons at times.  These sutures are best removed by a plastic surgeon and preferably your plastic surgeon since he or she knows whether any of these were meant to be a permanent suture.  These little stitches are a route of entry for bacteria, so if you were living in Hawaii, I would tell you not to go in the ocean because you can get bacteria in and get an infection around the edge of your areola.  Make an appointment and see your plastic surgeon.  I am sure he or she would be happy to remove these sutures.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Sutures after Areola Reduction

+1

It's best to follow up with your surgeon regarding recovery from your surgery.  Contact your surgeon for an appointment, and he will remove the sutures if necessary.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Visible sutures after areola reduction

+1

Check with your surgeon first before further attempting to remove the sutures from your areola reduction.  The sutures may be either dissolving or permanent sutures, either way, your physician may want to leave them in  longer to aid in healing or prevent the scar from spreading.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Sutures Visible after Breast Augmentation/Areola Reduction?

+1

It would be best for you not to manipulate the incision line at all;  see your plastic surgeon for advice/treatment.

Underneath stitches

+1

Definitely see you Dr. These may be dissolvable stitches or permanent See your Dr and do not pull the stitches out yourself.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon