Is What You See Right After Liposuction Almost the Final Result?

I had my second liposuction on my calves (and inner knees for the first time as well) 2 days ago but I was very disappointed. My calves don't seem much better (it reduced only 0.4 inch in circumference before) while the result is very clear on my knees. Is the immediate result you see post-op almost the final thing you will get (if we ignore swelling)?? Now my calves are still 13.7 inch each in the morning (my height is only 5.15ft). It seems my doctor only took about 300 - 400cc from each leg!

+2

In my experience it generally takes about 4-6 weeks to say 85% of the result, 3 months to see 95% and 6 months to see the final result.  However, it takes longer - about twice as long - for lower leg procedures and for some redo procedures.  Therefore, at two days, I would not even begin to be concerned about the final appearance.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Final results take time to see after liposuction

+2

During liposuction your surgeon will put fluid into the region that will be treated before removing the fat, and this fluid takes some time to go away after your surgery.  Additionally, swelling of the tissues in the area of the liposuction can also take some time to resolve.  Your result should be evident in 3 months, but it may take as long as 6 months to see your final outcome

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

The final results of liposuction require about six months.

+2

Shortly after liposuction the results might look margin as swelling replaces the fat. The first six weeks will show about 75% improvement. The next 4 to 6 months will yield about 25% more improvement.

Final Results After Liposuction

+2

Thank you for the question. Two days post op for any surgery would be too early to see final results. In fact at two days your typically have maximal swelling after liposuction and your results often look worse then immediately post op. Please give it at least 6 month before you make any determination regarding final results. Additionally, any secondary or revisional liposuction surgery often involves correcting a contour deformity with the  breaking up scar tissue and a lot of fat may not be removed.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Liposuction results

+2

The final results from liposuction usually take at least three months to develop as the swelling resolves and the skin shrinks back.  I would not make any judgements about the final results at only two days after surgery.  Also, you should know that the calf area changes are usually more subtle than other body areas.  In general, patients are most dissatisfied with the results of calf liposuction, if you had to pick one area that was most dissatisfying.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

2 Days after Liposuction and Disappointed with Results

+2

Everyone will heal differently and swell variably, but it would be unusual for a patient to see the final results 2 days after surgery.  The swelling should produce quite a bit of distortion.  Please give yourself at least a few months.  Also, realize that dependent areas will swell more.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

I would expect that it will take several months to see the results. Calves are probably the slowest area to resolve the swelling because they are most dependent. Without photos, it will not be useful to comment on the volume removed by liposuction.

Compression stockings would be useful to increase the rate of dispersal of the swelling. All the best.