Should I See a Plastic Surgeon...or Wait to See How It Heals?

My 3 yo son hit his forehead on a rock, leaving a 1cm vertical cut. Went to urgent care and dr gave three sutures. Keeping it covered with bacitracin. I am concerned (24 hours later) that the sutures are not evenly spaced on either side of the cut (less than one mm on one side of the wound and about 4-5mm on the other side of the wound). Should I try to see a plastic surgeon tomorrow or wait til it heals? They said its dissolvable sutures, if not gone at 5days should i take him back in?

+2

You can see a plastic surgeon at any point. However, the vast majority of surgeons will not do anything about your little boy's scar until at least 6 months to a year. It is amazing how well this type of laceration will heal regardless of who repaired it and what technique they used. Obviously, the best closure at the time of injury will lead to the best result but you can expect significant improvement with time. The options for improvement at 6-12 months include dermabrasion (sanding), laser, scar revision (cutting out and replacing the scar) and possibly tattooing the scar to camouflage the color. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment

+2

Scars in young children often heal just fine. The fact that the sutures are not placed evenly may be just that there was different amount of tension on each side of the wound and it needed to be this way. For now, it it seems to be healing fine and I would leave it alone. It will take a few months to know what is happening and for the scar to settle. I would see a plastic surgeon in three months if it still is a problem. Good luck!

William LoVerme, MD

Three year old with cut on forehead

+2

At this point (more than 24 hours after the injury), I would recommend waiting for the scar on your son's forehead to heal.  It may take several months to see the final result, but if for some reason there is an issue with the appearance, a revision of the scar could always be done later.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead laceration

+1

At this point, I do not think that any surgeon will do anything about it. But if concerned, go see a plastic surgeon.