Will I See an Immediate Improvement when Seranoma is Drained?

I am one week post op with a tummytuck and lipo. While my tummy is indeed flatter I don't seem to have much of a figure yet. I do have swelling and indeed have the ripple effect just over my pubic area. I have an appointment with my PS next week and he will drain the seranoma, will I see an improvement when this is done?. Hope to soon see the sporty tummy I had desired. I am 43

Seromas are occasionally seen after a tummy tuck and can be fixed by office aspiration.

+1

Seromas are not uncommon after an abdominoplasty.  Removal will show an immediate improvement but reaccumulation is not uncommon either and several aspirations may be needed until the buildup stops.

Improvement Following Seroma Drainage

+1

Sorry to hear you have a seroma following your tummy tuck.  This is a fairly common problem and results in considerably more swelling than one might expect following surgery.  When you have a seroma, there is a collection of fluid between the skin and the underlying muscles, somewhat like a blister.  In addition to the volume created by this fluid collection, the adjacent tissue will be more swollen as well.  Drainage of the seroma will result in an immediate result in fullness in the treatment area, however, the surrounding tissues may remain swollen for several weeks.  In general, once a seroma has been drained, if it does not reoccur, swelling will continue to improve over the next several weeks.  Don't be discouraged, the seroma will not impact your long-term result.  Most patients find tummy-tucks to be one of the most rewarding procedures, but you need to be patient since the final improvement may be six to twelve months following surgery.  Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Improvement after Seroma Drainage

+1

Sorry to hear that you have a seroma, but it is a common problem that is easily treated. You will see an instant improvement but it may come back in a few days. Your surgeon may put a drain in for a few days if it comes back. However, these generally resolve in a short period of time and do not affect the final result.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Seroma after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Usually patients notice an immediate decreased “swelling” after drainage of seroma.

Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.