Doctor says "she doesn't know why it's happening". Do I need to see a different doctor? (photo)

My doctor just tells me "she doesn't know why it's happening" I've had a breast reduction and had to have drains. I think they took the drains out to early. The drainage that was left in, is busting threw my stitches. It's been 3 weeks and it's still hard and swollen..

Doctor says "she doesn't know why it's happening". Do I need to see a different doctor?

+3

Sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing after breast reduction surgery. It seems to me like you have a good understanding of what is occurring; there is likely a fluid accumulation ( for example old blood) that is gradually making its way out of the “path of least resistance”, the incision line. I would not be surprised, as this blood liquefies, that you experience significant more drainage, before things get better.

Also, do not be surprised if the incision line opening increases in size, before healing occurs. In other words, sometimes things do look worse before they get better.

Assuming you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who is following you closely, there is probably no need to see additional doctors; unless you wish to do so for peace of mind purposes.

Best wishes; hopefully, you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Is one of your breasts much larger than the other?

+2

If so, your photos suggest a hematoma on the concerning side. It will spontaneously drain at this point and if it does not, aspirations would be done with liposuction cannulas. Regardless, your surgeon should be able to guide you through this recovery with a satisfactory outcome. And when she says she doesn't know why this is happening, at least she is being honest with you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast reduction issues

+2

Thank you for your pictures. Your breast may be firm due to healing or fat necrosis. The dark areas may represent some mild tissue loss. These issues can occur after breast reduction. They are totally manageable. It will be hard to find a doctor to assume the care after surgery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Swollen Breast

+2

From the looks of things in your pictures you seem to have a hematoma, or collection of blood clot within the breast. It is best to be followed frequently by your plastic surgeon. You may need additional surgery or an office procedure to remove the blood clot. Drains do not prevent hematomas and this could have happened with or without the use of drains.

Mark Gaon, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Old hematoma

+2

You may have a hematoma. This is not too uncommon after breast reductions. Even drains do not prevent them. I think that the old blood will eventually work its way out without the need for surgery although it may cause a small opening and take a few weeks to a month to resolve itself. I would continue management with your surgeon. We all have complications from time to time and would prefer to take care of them ourselves.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1

Very hard to believe your posting of your doc not res;ending to your concerns. Poorly posted photos, need to see both breasts! Best to see her in person and have a heart to heart discussion...