Should a See a DMD/DDS Maxillofacial Surgeon or Cosmetic Facial Surgeon for a Zygomatic Osteotomy?

I suffered a zygomatic fracture 3 years ago and i want to get an osteotomy to remove the protruding bone from my zygomatic arch for a better symmetry. Who should i see?

It depends on the surgeon

+2

Honestly, it depends on the surgeon. Craniofacial surgeons, ENT/Facial Cosmetic surgeons, Oculoplastic surgeons, and DMD/DDS Maxillofacial surgeons all may perform the type of surgery you are discussing.

In general, level 1 trauma hospitals and children's hospitals have experience surgeons that can perform this surgery.

This is a complex surgery and surgeon skills definitely matter, so do your homework in your area. 

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website. If they do not perform the surgery, they will likely know a good surgeon that does.

Good luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon